LaunchBox Community Forums

Help With Getting Kega Fusion to Start in Fullscreen

arcadeknight

Hey guys,

I am struggling getting the Kega Fusion emulator to start in fullscreen, and specifically do it every time. So here is the issue: I have edited the Fusion.ini file and set both ForceFullScreen and FullScreen to the value 1. When I do that, it will start in fullscreen. However, when I'm ready to get out of the game, other than alt+F4, there is no hotkey to exit the game, which means that I have to hit ESC to get out of fullscreen and then X out of the emulator. This, however, reverts the Fusion.ini file back to a 0 value for FullScreen. The next time I open a game requiring the Kega Fusion emulator, it doesn't start in fullscreen.

My goal is to be able to exit using my PS4 controller, rather than needing the keyboard at all. I downloaded an app called AntiMicro to map the alt and F4 keys to my controller, however, when I would execute the controller combination, it would exit the Kega Fusion without having to get out of fullscreen, but it would also close down Big Box as well. Likewise, I also tried just initiating the Big Box pause menu and exiting the game that way, but that always resulted in Kega Fusion still running but just having a black screen, but I could here the game in the background and I could still interact with the game (pressing the controller buttons still made things happen in the game but there was no video feed), so I would just have to ESC and quit.

I'm not very tech savvy, and I don't have any background in programming, so I don't really know what my options are here. Considering what my attempts have been and their results, is there any way that I can have Kega Fusion start in fullscreen every time, and exit the program without having to get out of fullscreen and do it with my controller?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I do not use Kega Fusion but do have it set up and working fine with fullscreen and exiting just using LB/BB controller mapping. 

Fullscreen wise I never edited the ini file so the show fullscreen option is still set to "0". In the default command line parameters within LB emualtor setting I have -fullscreen added. So try adding that line in the box for Default Command Line Parameters.

For exiting the game try putting either of these AHK scripts in you emulator setup in LB. Under >Tools>Manage Emulators choose Kega and edit it. Paste either script below inside the Running AutoHotKey tab and test.

$Esc::
 Send !{f4}

or Also

$Esc::
{
    WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

@Retro808

Thank you sir! I had no idea about the command line parameters and how they worked, as I have never used the command line. But adding -fullscreen to it as you said worked like a charm. I did not use the hotkey scripts though, as now when I head to the pause menu in BB and click exit, it exit's the program just fine without any issues and leaves me in BB. So all is good. But just for my understanding, what do those scripts do, and how do they work? I know nothing about programming or scripting.  Also, you mentioned using LB/BB controller mapping; how do you do that? Sorry if those are stupid questions. Again, thanks for all your help.

@DOS76

What type of issues did you encounter that made you make changes to the DPI settings? Also, I have no clue about how to optimize those settings so even if I did change them, I wouldn't know what to change them to. Honestly, I don't even know what DPI is. Would you be willing to give me a crash course on those settings, why I'd want to change those settings, and what would be optimal changes for those settings? Sorry, I'm pretty much a complete noob at the behind the scenes tech stuff.

for me there was an issue displaying Kega in Windows 8 (at the time). The settings are a little different now and if you aren't seeing anything funny with the application when you put it in full screen then you don't really need to worry about if for me the screen would not display correctly and it wasn't centered right. I use RetroArch now instead of Kega so I don't have the emulator any longer to look at how my settings were

@DOS76,

Ok, gotcha. Speaking of Retroarch, I tried using that but every time I started a game through it, it was all choppy and seemed like both audio and video was slow-motion glitchy. Sound would stutter and video would be extremely slow. But when I downloaded the actual emulators (the same ones that I had cores for in Retroarch) and started games up in them without going through Retroarch, everything seemed fine. But anytime I go through Retroarch it all goes funky.

Is there some settings that I should be tinkering with to straighten that issue out? Retroarch seems like the route to go, and I'd like to be able to use that for the majority of the emulators, but it just hasn't worked for me. I am using an iMac 27.5 5k Retina Display (all-in-one) computer. Not sure if these are the right specs to help assess this issue, but here are some nonetheless:

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700k CPU @ 4.00 GHz, 4001 MHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors

RAM: 16 GB

Graphics Card (maybe): AMD Radeon R9 M395

I really don't know anything about hardware, what's good and what not so good. And I'm not really sure if the AMD Radeon is the graphics or video card or not, I just went to advanced display settings and got that information.

So, I'm just not sure if those specs are not good for Retroarch or if it's just some internal settings that I have to change to get things to run normally. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!