LaunchBox Community Forums

Best way to emulate Apple II and Apple IIGS? LB guide uses MESS and is old...

cleverest

3 hours ago, cleverest said:

I couldn't get that working, I got THIS working though: apple2ee -ui_active -skip_gameinfo -gamma 0.50 -flop1

I had to remove -gameio joy

That's really strange. That's a valid option and without it you won't have joystick support with the Apple2 machine. I'd have to see your verbose output to see why.

Not sure what -gamma .50 really does for this platform...can you explain?

It just changes the color. The Apple2 had really funky color modes depending on whether a pixel was on a even or odd coordinate or what the adjacent pixel was set as. I needed that gamma to correct the color to match what a remember from when I had an Apple2e. Without it the colors were just to bright. Is really a personal adjustment and doesn't affect emulation at all.

Also is there a way to PRELOAD the "flip disk to side B" requirement on Apple II games that require that?

I don't know about PRELOADing, but on some games if they run off the B side, you can try using an auto save, If it's a game that flips back and forth between disk sides, that won't work.

• Thanks 1

I'm definitely missing some files trying to get Apple IIe up and running, but the problem is I'm not sure where to find them because I don't know what to look for. Searches on the file names don't turn up much except references like "yes, this is required for MAME" but that's about it.

yh4Ja8M.png

Just like at work, giving up and asking the question on a forum helps me find the answer myself. There has to be a name for this situation. :P

Anyway, if you need these like I did, you can find them on asimov. I was just looking in the wrong area.

Apple II Documentation Project - Apple IIe ROM Images

Spoke too soon. Still doesn't work. :(

Edited by Flickumbicus

16 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

@Flickumbicus  The files you need to be looking for are apple2ee.zip, apple2e.zip, a2diskiing.zip and d2fdc.zip which you can find in with your 'regular' MAME rom set.  (regular vs the Softlists sets).

THANK YOU! I kept trying to find them in the software list sets. No wonder.

Booting up fine now, and was able to run Gumball. Playing it is another matter, but I will do some searches on configuring the keyboard and controller.

9 hours ago, Flickumbicus said:

I kept trying to find them in the software list sets.

Glad you got it to work.  Now you know where to look. ;) That's where you'll find most of those types, but some Device files are still with the software lists such as scharger.zip for the Atari 2600.

9 hours ago, Flickumbicus said:

configuring the keyboard and controller

You probably know how to set them up.  Here's how to save them.