LaunchBox Community Forums

Vertical Aspirations - A vertically oriented cabinet theme (Animated Marquee Mod Added)

1 hour ago, mrbrightside80 said:

I just downloaded this leave and I love it on my cocktail! I had a few questions.

When using the horizontal game layout is there any way to use game specific bezels instead of the default?

Is it also possible to use individual cabinets for the display? I have hundreds that are game specific and think it would look amazing.

It the cabinets are identical in shape, then yes, that would be possible. If the cabinets have different screen sizes and orientations then I'd say no. The position and orientation of the screen has to be constant when scrolling through the wheel. Even if your game specific bezels are identical in shape, it would probably require a whole new theme.

3 minutes ago, JaysArcade said:

It the cabinets are identical in shape, then yes, that would be possible. If the cabinets have different screen sizes and orientations then I'd say no. The position and orientation of the screen has to be constant when scrolling through the wheel. Even if your game specific bezels are identical in shape, it would probably require a whole new theme.

I think the cabinet files are the same size. Now that I am thinking about it, there seems to be a lot to add to make that work. They had a cool set up with cabs in coinops retro arcade 2 vertical. But nothing about it was user friendly at all.

It's user friendly if you want it all built for you already. If you want to do anything yourself, its a big pain in the ass. CoinOps btw is just a RetroFE theme.

RetroFE does have the advantage over BigBox that when scrolling between games in a given platform, it is not bound by the video size and orientation. I don't think the community theme creator is yet able to let us change the video size on each game displayed when scrolling which is what it will take to do what that theme does.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for helping a newbie! (well, I use LB for some time now, but never involved myself with themes and big box yet).

One question though - are you still actively working on updates for this theme, and/or would take in feature ideas?

(one would be to make changes to the font and color from the settings menu directly).

Anyway, CTC seems to be what will help me too here, so thanks as well for releasing the CTC files as well!

Best, Alex

56 minutes ago, RodentVienna said:

Thank you for helping a newbie! (well, I use LB for some time now, but never involved myself with themes and big box yet).

One question though - are you still actively working on updates for this theme, and/or would take in feature ideas?

(one would be to make changes to the font and color from the settings menu directly).

Anyway, CTC seems to be what will help me too here, so thanks as well for releasing the CTC files as well!

Best, Alex

The settings menu is the only thing the Community Theme Creator can't edit. All that has to be done manually. It might be possible to delete those files and use the default BigBox settings menu. The only reason this theme has themed settings menu at all is because older versions of Bigbox didn't display the settings very well on a vertical screen. The menu is actually a hack of the settings menu from @faeran's Vertigo theme.

So to answer your question, no, I'm not actively working on this theme, but if you put together a good idea (I need specifics), I might entertain the idea of making an update.

If you want to try to delete those files and use the default Bigbox settings views, I believe it is the Options views you would need to delete. They are in the ..\Themes\Vertical Aspirations\Views folder. Back them up first so you can restore if needed.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I like what I see with the Mr Do example and clear logos…

installing it default and even going through the views I can’t seem to find this look with the wheel on the side and full screen “Mr Do” (example). I have all the game videos and clear logos downloaded, etc.

I’m running on a vertical monitor. I’m also only running MAME arcade games.

Any suggestions/help/ideas?

Thanks

2 hours ago, OldSchool80s said:

Hi,

I like what I see with the Mr Do example and clear logos…

installing it default and even going through the views I can’t seem to find this look with the wheel on the side and full screen “Mr Do” (example). I have all the game videos and clear logos downloaded, etc.

I’m running on a vertical monitor. I’m also only running MAME arcade games.

Any suggestions/help/ideas?

Thanks

It should be Vertical Wheel 1 and Platform Wheel 3. Also, in the example, I'm using gameplay videos, not cinematic videos for the arcade platform.

Thanks. I’ll look into it in a few minutes…

Are there any instructions on how to use the gameplay videos like you mentioned? I thought this was all a choice of how the theme is created (on which videos/images) show up where in a theme…?

Thanks 

Edited by OldSchool80s

Ahhh, I think I have selected both. I do know I’ve done the gameplay videos. (And like I said the themes as well).

This is all interesting too, because as mentioned earlier. I would think that the theme determines what is shown. (But maybe priority is the theme videos are first, then backup is the gameplay videos.)

Which I recall, the theme videos seemed faded, like there was opacity to them…

* Now it seems I need to re-import my games and uncheck the theme videos, which is weird to have to go that route, but I get it. Things are as they are. :)

Going down into arcade now.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, JaysArcade said:

Backup any current videos you have and only select the games in the platform you want to try this on. It would suck to lose all the videos you currently have in case you want to revert back to them.

Yes, true. (I didn't see this post for some reason.) In arcade now.

22 minutes ago, OldSchool80s said:

Ahhh, I think I have selected both. I do know I’ve done the gameplay videos. (And like I said the themes as well).

This is all interesting too, because as mentioned earlier. I would think that the theme determines what is shown. (But maybe priority is the theme videos are first, then backup is the gameplay videos.)

Which I recall, the theme videos seemed faded, like there was opacity to them…

* Now it seems I need to re-import my games and uncheck the theme videos, which is weird to have to go that route, but I get it. Things are as they are. :)

Going down into arcade now.

Thanks

Yeah when building the theme, it doesn't let you select what videos are shown. Whatever is in your video folder for a particular platform is what will appear. I don't think there are video priorities in Bigbox (but I could be wrong about that).

You should be able to go into your arcade platform in Launchbox and select all games. Then in the menu click tools > Download > Update Media and Media for selected Games. That will get you into the media download wizard. Unselect anything you don't want it to download again and only select the gameplay video stuff. You won't need to delete and re-import your MAME libray this way. Also, I'm not sure but I think this needs an emumovies account. I don't think Launchbox provides basic gameplay videos in their media downloads (but I could be wrong about that too).