LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone got Atari 2600 set up on Retroarch?

Johnny T

I love the old Atari 2600 games and I've got it working with Retroarch but wasn't sure how to set up the system buttons (such as Left/Right difficulty level, color/black&white etc)

I thought I'd post here as I know we have a few Atari 2600 aficionados on site (Lord Monkus for one!). So, can anyone let me know how I set this up on Retroarch? I did read something about Controller Overlays but I'm not sure what these are or how I 'install' them??

34 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

I love the old Atari 2600 games and I've got it working with Retroarch but wasn't sure how to set up the system buttons (such as Left/Right difficulty level, color/black&white etc)

I thought I'd post here as I know we have a few Atari 2600 aficionados on site (Lord Monkus for one!). So, can anyone let me know how I set this up on Retroarch? I did read something about Controller Overlays but I'm not sure what these are or how I 'install' them??

They are set to buttons by default.

1377286235_RetroArchScreenshot2020_07.25-11_50_06_82.thumb.png.2fd92bdf7cccd3e6645f29bb96587e75.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Neil but I'm not using a controller. I'm just using a keyboard (i.e. my cabinet control panel which is the equivalent of a keyboard as it is mapped through the IPAC).

So I don't have those options you have listed there. Thanks :)

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You should still have them as long as you setup your controller correctly in the main Retroarch settings. Then when you load a game in the core and go to quick menu/controls it shows them there.

Thanks Neil, I'll check that out and see what it says. I've not used the 'quick menu' yet. Still finding my way around Retroarch. I've just been into the Port #1 and Port #2 controls etc.

Cheers :)

On 7/25/2020 at 12:40 PM, neil9000 said:

You should still have them as long as you setup your controller correctly in the main Retroarch settings. Then when you load a game in the core and go to quick menu/controls it shows them there.

Hi Neil

You were right!!! I was messing with it yesterday and found the "Quick Menu" showed the B/W & Color switches etc.

For some reason it's showing "12 way Rotary Joystick" as the controller (which will be the USB 12 way rotary add on that I installed on my ServoStiks) but the controls all still work so that's great.

Just as a matter of interest what controller do you use for your set up? I've read that an Xbox One controller is the best but would prefer some feedback from someone I trust before I buy one. I'm thinking of getting a controller for playing the PS1 and N64 stuff etc?

Also, is your controller wired/wireless.

Cheers

John :) 

5 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Thanks Neil. Do you use that for all your platforms? (i.e. PS1, N64 or whatever?).

It looks like it'll cope with everything.