LaunchBox Community Forums

Deleting entries that are not "game" enough, what is the harm of them been there?

kurzih

Just wanted to make my voice heard:

Lately, I've seen a few attempts while moderating that someone is trying to delete Video Game Console / Handheld Console entries from the database that have already been accepted, because they are not "Game" enough.
These are not my entries, but somebody did use their time to get them in the Database and they've been there for quite a long time and have been initially accepted. Entries like the Nintendo DS Browser for Nintendo DS or Cooking games, promo discs, cheating software etc.

My opinion is that the reason "This is a Games Database, these should not be here" is not a good reason to reduce the amount of entries we have in the Launchbox Database, especially if they have been approved and been there for a long time. Here's a simple guideline suggestion and why I think so: if a software product was made by a gaming company for a gaming console (not talking about computers here) it's place is deserved in the DB and even more if it's part of a ROM collection - it can actually be used in a Emulator or the original TV console/handheld console - it's part of that said console's gaming history. I don't see the harm of them been there. Many would like their full collection ID'd in the DB.

I personally would hope that instead of removing (and searching for) entries that are a bit less gaming related, we would use our time adding missing game entries. There are still thousands of game entries that would be very welcomed to the database.

EDIT: Just remembered that a few weeks ago I did "Save" someone's entry that was deleted with that "not a game" reasoning and I uploaded it as a new entry with a description and naming that would protect it (so far, so good):
 https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/134238 (Game Boy Camera's Included games)

It was deleted because it was "Not a game". Actually that product is bundled with a game cartridge with games made by Nintendo in it + the software that uses the Camera. This is just an example and one more reason of why I believe these kind of entries should be left in the database.

Edited by kurzih
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I also reject those deletion attempts when i see them.   
This is a database for a Emulation Front End, if there is a ROM in a set that somebody might try to scrape then there should be a DB entry for it.
Even if it just exists to let the user know "this is not a game but a XYZ thing" so they can decide to delete / hide the rom in their own collection instead of having a mysterious none matched icon.  

Also: one mans trash is another mans treasure, you may not care about a GameBoy Sewing Machine rom from Japan ...but somebody will.  

I don't care about Demo Discs or these GameBoy Color Videos on cartridge... but somebody does.

Edited by Z3R0B4NG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 3:50 PM, Z3R0B4NG said:

I also reject those deletion attempts when i see them.   
This is a database for a Emulation Front End, if there is a ROM in a set that somebody might try to scrape then there should be a DB entry for it.
Even if it just exists to let the user know "this is not a game but a XYZ thing" so they can decide to delete / hide the rom in their own collection instead of having a mysterious none matched icon.  

Also: one mans trash is another mans treasure, you may not care about a GameBoy Sewing Machine rom from Japan ...but somebody will.  

I don't care about Demo Discs or these GameBoy Color Videos on cartridge... but somebody does.

True but some things are pretty much impossible to emulate. Like programs that actually REQUIRE extra hardware other than the base hardware. Like a program that supposed to control the lights in your home for example. What's the point of adding those when they can't be emulated accurately anyway

5 hours ago, LordEvyl said:

True but some things are pretty much impossible to emulate. Like programs that actually REQUIRE extra hardware other than the base hardware. Like a program that supposed to control the lights in your home for example. What's the point of adding those when they can't be emulated accurately anyway

->

On 8/19/2020 at 8:20 PM, Z3R0B4NG said:

And to put it really simple: In the end the entry doesn't show up in your Launchbox App if you don't have it in your local collection - and you'd be surprised how people do genius workarounds for "impossible" emulation (look at the MAME team for example). What doesn't run today might well do tomorrow.

I would love to add some entries that are on the edge of being a game or not, but it's very much a turn off thinking that the time and research I would put on the entry is swept away when someone requests a deletion after the entry has been accepted with a simple line like "this is not a game" or "this is not possible to run without .. " etc. I think deletion requests shouldn't be made lightly and reserved mostly for duplicate entries (which actually doesn't quite work at the moment xD) or totally incorrect information. 

And remember, my focus about this topic is about video game consoles/devices and products that are considered part of gaming history. I do understand that if we talk about computers, then there is a risk that we'd see Deluxe Paints, Word processors, Animation studios in Commodore Amiga for example (though I wouldn't object to be honest, Amiga can have all the love it can have ;) ). And those would be harder to "promote" in the Launchbox Games Database. And most likely would fail to pass the initial acceptation process.

Maybe @Jason Carr might have a comment/guidance on this case?

PS. And as a bonus Jason, when could we see more platforms opened in the Database? I'm volunteering for adding at least 50 entries for NEC PC-6001 for example (the emulation works fine) :D Quite happy with the additions I managed these past months with PC-88/PC-98/FM Towns/FM-7/X1 etc. (except Sharp X68000, credits for the new additions is to someone else, good work btw whoever you are!) - moving on to the next platforms.

Edited by kurzih
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, kurzih said:

And to put it really simple: In the end the entry doesn't show up in your Launchbox App if you don't have it in your local collection - and you'd be surprised how people do genius workarounds for "impossible" emulation (look at the MAME team for example). What doesn't run today might well do tomorrow.

I would love to add some entries that are on the edge of being a game or not, but it's very much a turn off thinking that the time and research I would put on the entry is swept away when someone requests a deletion after the entry has been accepted with a simple line like "this is not a game" or "this is not possible to run without .. " etc. I think deletion requests shouldn't be made lightly and reserved mostly for duplicate entries (which actually doesn't quite work at the moment xD) or totally incorrect information. 

And remember, my focus about this topic is about video game consoles/devices and products that are considered part of gaming history. I do understand that if we talk about computers, then there is a risk that we'd see Deluxe Paints, Word processors, Animation studios in Commodore Amiga for example (though I wouldn't object to be honest, Amiga can have all the love it can have ;) ). And those would be harder to "promote" in the Launchbox Games Database. And most likely would fail to pass the initial acceptation process.

Maybe @Jason Carr might have a comment/guidance on this case?

PS. And as a bonus Jason, when could we see more platforms opened in the Database? I'm volunteering for adding at least 50 entries for NEC PC-6001 for example (the emulation works fine) :D Quite happy with the additions I managed these past months with PC-88/PC-98/FM Towns/FM-7/X1 etc. (except Sharp X68000, credits for the new additions is to someone else, good work btw whoever you are!) - moving on to the next platforms.

I'd like to see a section for the Tatung Einstein as well