LaunchBox Community Forums

Selecting specific rom from a merged Mame set

Leaf

Hey everyone,

I'm having troubles figuring out how to select a different rom then the default one from the merged mame rom set.

Default version is for some reason always the 4 player versions for me.

TMNT, Sunset Riders etc.

But I would like to load the 2 player versions, so I can chose different characters. ?

I can chose them from both Mame and MameUI, but I can't find the option in Launchbox.

I've tried with the split set, but I get tons of errors with missing files when using them.

Anyone knows how to fix my problem? ?

3 minutes ago, Leaf said:

Hey everyone,

I'm having troubles figuring out how to select a different rom then the default one from the merged mame rom set.

TMNT, Sunset Riders etc.

But I would like to load the 2 player versions, so I can chose different characters. ?

I can chose them from both Mame and MameUI, but I can't find the option in Launchbox.

I've tried with the split set, but I get tons of errors with missing files when using them.

Anyone knows how to fix my problem? ?

Right click the game, choose edit, select the additional apps tab, this will display all the versions, click on the one you want, then click the "make default" button. Job done, enjoy. :) 

image.thumb.png.fdc32be935639c36325562de658b3196.png

13 minutes ago, Leaf said:

Just to add, thats the way MAME works, those versions are the "Parent" rom and all the others are "clones", unless thats not the case, and the importer is wrong? If you have any info on it "being us and not you", then we would be happy to hear/see it, but MAME lists things a certain way, and thats what our importer should be following.

I was hoping it was something simple, so that good.

However I have checked all the options under Edit, and didn't find anything useful.

That might be because my Additional Apps is empty, as shown below.

image.thumb.png.17cd288c47657893f89855f4bb357fa2.pngBut the rom is the merged one. This is the content of the .7z

image.thumb.png.2d5e5b73fb88038f1c80127eee233bd2.pngDid I miss a step some where?

10 minutes ago, Leaf said:

I was hoping it was something simple, so that good.

However I have checked all the options under Edit, and didn't find anything useful.

That might be because my Additional Apps is empty, as shown below.

image.thumb.png.17cd288c47657893f89855f4bb357fa2.pngBut the rom is the merged one. This is the content of the .7z

image.thumb.png.2d5e5b73fb88038f1c80127eee233bd2.pngDid I miss a step some where?

Do you have a full romset, or just a small hand picked bunch?

I only added the roms I wanted, with "add roms".

I haven't used the full set importer.

I thought that once I added the merged rom Launchbox would be able to detect the clones within and allowe me to select the version I wanted to load.

I might have missunderstood this, but dosn't the merged rom contain the complete versions of the 2-player version? tmnt2p is from what I can read the 2 player version.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow here, but I don't quite follow yet. ^^

Okay, so I'll try a new approach.

I've got the split rom set now.

If I do the following:

Take the parent and the clone rom I want, and put in the same folder. Tmnt.zip and tmnt2p.zip. Add them to LB with the add rom option. (Names might be wrong, I'm currently not in front of my mame set)

Will the games be entered as 2 games, or will it be 1 game, where I can select versions as shown above?

If I launch the 2p game , will it know to look for the missing files in the parent zip?

Is this the right approach with split romsets?

18 hours ago, Leaf said:

I thought that once I added the merged rom Launchbox would be able to detect the clones within and allowe me to select the version I wanted to load.

No, this is because you are using the standard rom import, so Launchbox doesnt know its a mame rom. it will just import the file and believe it is just one file.

4 hours ago, Leaf said:

Take the parent and the clone rom I want, and put in the same folder. Tmnt.zip and tmnt2p.zip. Add them to LB with the add rom option. (Names might be wrong, I'm currently not in front of my mame set)

Will the games be entered as 2 games, or will it be 1 game, where I can select versions as shown above?

If I launch the 2p game , will it know to look for the missing files in the parent zip?

Is this the right approach with split romsets?

If you want to pick out games then you really need a non-merged set, they are bigger in size but each game has its own self contained zip, split and merged are sharing zips and files which makes it tricky. Games may be using files in completely unrelated games, simply because they used the same Arcade hardware, theres little point in adding the same file to the romset hundreds of times, when it can be added to one game and all the games that need that specific file can pull it from that one location. This is why a non-merged set is about twice the size as the others, each game is its own self contained zip, so there are thousands of duplicated files, but this means you can just pull any game you want out and know it will work.

To be honest with you if you have a split fullset what i would do is import it as a fullset using that specific importer, and then delete games you dont want from the Launchbox UI, that way they dont show and clutter up the interface with games you dont care about, but MAME still knows where the files are and can retrieve a file from another zip from a game you have removed from the Launchbox UI if needed, so they dont show in Launchbox but are still there if MAME needs them.

• Thanks 1

Alright,

I wanted to use the split set, to keep the folder size to a minimum.

However you make a valid point, with non-merged just being easier to use.

I only keep around 650 mame games, so space was never going too be an issue anyways.

You've stated a few time you also use the non-merged set. Sense I haven't been able to find a newer set the 0.193, I wanted to ask you. Will updating it 31 versions be the fastest way, or should I keep looking, for a more recent version? ?

• 3 years later...