LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame lightgun game settings maybe CHD issue

Beati3

Hello,

I was inspired to get Launchbox by ETA Prime’s video on importing Mame sets and how easy it was. I know it has to be me, because ETA Prime has never given me a bum steer, but my Mame setup hasn’t been easy. After my first set only partially worked I got the full set - Mame2003 Plus - from Archive.org. I imported. I’ve played around a bit with the Mame.ini file to tweak lightgun recognition and setup rom paths to both archive and chd files, but even lightgun games I got working on a Pi 3B+ - Terminator2/Alien 3 - aren’t running. Controller only games are running fine associated with Mame64.exe. I fiddled with Retroarch and the lr-mame2003-plus core, but that didn’t work at all. I’ve turned reload off screen to 0 as someone suggested. I confused myself no end installing Touchmote - is it required? And now I’m in a funk because all I wanted was to play the lightgun games that wouldn’t run on the pi to run on my PC. I’m a little cheered playing Border Down, recommended by ETA Prime. Naomi and Atomiswave are working perfectly. 

I’d be grateful for any advice you might be able to give me.

Thank you,

Beati3

It's going to be hard to give you specific advice (at this point) because you have too many variables about what you are going to use.

The Mame2003Plus set is based on a very old mame set, so using it with a newer MAME standalone is likely to introduce problems. Nothing is wrong with using it, but best suited if you stick to the Retroarch 2003plus core.

You said you installed touchmote, so are using using wii remotes as your light guns? Do you have one or two? Are they connected with a Mayflash bar?

If only one wiimote, you don't need touchmote, just set it to mouse mode (assumming Mayflash), and it should be simple to configure in standalone mame.

Ah, that's a big help. Thank you for responding. 

• Yes using only 1 wiimote
  • Yes I have a Mayflash Dolphin Bar
  • I'll look for a set compatible with Mame64

I should have realised the 2003 set was old. That really clears things up. 

Thank you again,

Beati3

I got the games working today. I got a Mame 0.223 set. I managed the MAME setup in the emulator where lightgun was set to off by default. I'm now finding my way around LaunchBox reasonably well for being less than a week in. Love the system. If other n00bs have trouble with lightguns, check the device settings in MAME. Lightgun is probably set to off.

Thank you!