LaunchBox Community Forums

QUAKE MODS

PiperCalls

I put together a Platform called Quake Mods and have it setup in LB/BB, launching directly to each map/mod and playable with a controller (blasphemy...). These are user created maps (mods) for Quake. There is a very active community of map/mod makers for Quake and some of them are extremely talented, blowing the original Quake maps away. If anyone wants to check them out head over to www.quaddicted.com, almost all the maps/mods are there and it is a very neat and organized website. I have about 500 map packs setup, many with several actual levels/maps to play so I've probably got about 800-1000 maps launching. Quaddicted has somewhere close to 2000 I think...

I'm using Quakespasm Spiked as the "emulator" it makes the maps look much better and more playable. I'm using screenshots from Quaddicted as my box art, made up some cheesy logos and used the integrated OBS function in LB/BB to record a video preview of each map.

I recorded a quick video of it in action with BB...

Cheers...Piper

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 5:52 PM, Tigmex said:

Sounds awesome!

If you have the time can you compile you stuff, like you did with Heretic?

Cheers

Hi, well that was the original intent vs. just a "look at me" video lol, but the total pkg is like 80GB so I'm not even sure how I'd do that. Busy setting up my Sindens now but I'll get back on this afterwards.

Cheers

You know... I didn't need yet another thing to collect and categorize. God damn it.

This is truly great though. I was planning on doing something similar with Doom using GZDoom. I'll have to look into QuakeSpasmSpiked. I've always wanted to go back to that game and I've just never managed to get around to it. All my mod collections revolve around Quake 3 Arena. This looks like a lot of fun though.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:21 PM, Whatscheizer said:

You know... I didn't need yet another thing to collect and categorize. God damn it.

This is truly great though. I was planning on doing something similar with Doom using GZDoom. I'll have to look into QuakeSpasmSpiked. I've always wanted to go back to that game and I've just never managed to get around to it. All my mod collections revolve around Quake 3 Arena. This looks like a lot of fun though.

For real...it never ends. Quakespam Spiked is nice, they look like much more recent maps.

• 2 years later...
23 hours ago, Randomtxtbox said:

is there a guide to setting up quake mods in launch box?

Yea you can do bat files like monk said or just put the map/mod parameters in the game launch parameters (which is what I do). Either way is fine. Let me know if you need examples.