LaunchBox Community Forums

Joystick/button mapping not working in LB/BB

theHotHead

Hi all, first post on the forum, was hoping I can figure this out myself. I have Mame 0.213, Launchbox/Bigbox 11.4 lifetime membership. I have an Ultimarc Minipac and built myself a double joystick enclosure with buttons and trackball. Set the config in Mame and everything works absolutely fine. However, when I launch games from Launchbox or Bigbox the joystick and button mappings are blank/default, its like neither app is reading the Mame default.cfg file which references a 4Player.cfg file via the "ctrlr" field under "core input options".

I did some Googling but have not found an answer, I can't believe this hasn't happened to others, assuming the issue is basic. any help greatly appreciated.

26 minutes ago, theHotHead said:

neither app is reading the Mame default.cfg file which references a 4Player.cfg file

When you say 'default.cfg', any chance you mean "mame.ini"?

I'm going to assume your talking about MAME directly and not using Retroarch's Mame as your emulator.

Is your mame.ini file located in MAME's root folder or in ../MAME/ini/ subfolder?  If it's in the ini folder, move it to the root folder.  If for some reason it's in both, put the good one in the root folder and get rid of [rename, backup, delete] the other one.

After it not working through LB/BB, when you go back and start MAME (mame64.exe) again and start a game, are the all the controllers still working like they're supposed to?

Yeah sorry about that, I meant mame.ini - d'oh !!

I am using MAME directly. The mame.ini file is in MAME's root folder, there is no version in the MAME/ini subfolder. MAME's root folder is in the LaunchBox folder. So there is no file I need to move at this point, according to your post.

Yes, when I start MAME directly after trying through LB/BB all of the controllers work fine, no re-programming required. That's literally how I have been using it for months now, through MAME directly, every now and then I will try see if I can get it working in LB/BB but I always fail.

What do your MAME emulator settings look like?  Can you provide some screen shots please (Details, Associated Platforms, Running AutoHotkey Script)?

image.thumb.png.74df5db636789bc29552a94a9c8c32c7.pngI assume (again with my assumptions.. lol) that MAME games will load through LB/BB.  It's just that the controls are all wonky.  Which, as I think about it doesn't completely make sense.  Even if MAME loaded it's default.cfg (instead of your 4Player.cfg) you should still have you left joy tied to Up/Down/Left/Right and your Player 1 buttons 1-6 tied to Ctrl/Alt/Space/Shift/Z/X.  Unless you remapped (through WinIPAC.exe) your controls.

For the screen shots, I'm mainly looking that you don't have any extracurricular command-Line Parameters.  (The Running AutoHotkey Script tab should be blank).  Also in your Edit [Arcade] Game in the Launching section, only the ROM File field should have something in it.image.thumb.png.c89b1417c42b2d24214a60e159f5418d.pngAnd in the Emulation section, there should be no Use custom Command-Line Parameters: listed (un-checked).image.thumb.png.fdf3aef8f0fba904bd9b02824830585b.png 

I really appreciate your help with this, please see the following screenshots:

image.thumb.png.a8159dc6bd831601973b89c40c363ca3.pngimage.thumb.png.37cfd45a5fc87486b63101c20c2c1137.pngimage.thumb.png.612054dfadfb35484d3352ef9bc90929.pngThe games do load through LB/BB, its just the controls and buttons that don't work at all. When you say remapped through WINIPAC, I don't believe I did anything within that program apart from setting Function to "key" perhaps.

image.thumb.png.37118de815d462aa2a92b2b783dd256d.pngScreenshot for Puckman (Pacman)

image.thumb.png.eba58846878f5f9cba3bf4f93d3acc66.pngimage.thumb.png.35aa75d49bc297567afbae0144a47247.pngHope that helps. Config-wise for LB/BB I did the installation following the instructions from ETA PRIME on YouTube. I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell micro PC with i5 processor and 8GB RAM.

2 minutes ago, theHotHead said:

You absolute diamond, removing -keyboardprovider dinput solved the issue, working properly in both LB and BB. Grinning broadly now ?. Thank you so much !!

Out of interest, will removing that parameter cause an issue elsewhere ?

Its used to invoke the Launchbox pause screen, as MAME itself usually has full control of the keyboard, this allows the keyboard to actually work as a PC keyboard rather that what MAME is using it for. So you may find that pause screens dont work correctly for you now for MAME.

No I didn't do any firmware upgrades. This is a brand new build Windows PC, I just checked my download folder, literally the only things I have downloaded and installed on it is MAME, LaunchBox, WINIPAC (but no firmware upgrade), ServoStik app (which doesn't seem to work) and JoyTray app (which does work). Initially in MAME direct I had an issue with the audio in Atari-based games (Marble Madness, Gauntlet, Super Sprint etc) having really slow audio, but that was a processor setting that I changed to fix it. I have also had to enable a few options to allow for multiple devices, like multiple trackballs and spinners and for rotary controls. But I have not touched any settings within LaunchBox/Big Box.

I tried to pause in-game and it seemed to work in the same way, so fingers crossed I'm all good now. Now that BB/LB is working I have a few questions about customising them, shall I stick them in the Noob page or non Noob ? I'm definitely a Noob !!

Glad it's all working!  As for your 'upcoming' questions, 1st try a search on the forums (or even Google adding "LaunchBox" in the search ;) ). And if that doesn't get you what you need, start in the forums' Home page and whittle your way down to a topic section that's most closely related to your question.  Just DON'T post the same questions in multiple locations! And most importantly, setting up you cab and LB/BB can be exciting and yet sometimes overwhelming.  So don't forget to actually play (not just test) your games, and have fun. :D