LaunchBox Community Forums

RocketLauncher Cinematic Fades

I guys here is a little something for those wanting to have cinematic fade in/out videos within RocketLauncher. Just uzip it in your RocketLauncher\Lib\User Functions folder (Backup your original file first just in case). Within the Global.ahk you can set your VLC path and where you have your Fade In/Out video folders. I also added a Hide the dektop code that seems to work better than the one in RLUI when using it with LaunchBox preventing the desktop for showing when starting or exiting the videos. Enjoy!

Global.zip

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2
  • Unusual Gem 1

Thanks a lot for sharing this! Although I haven't used RocketLauncher in ages and will probably have to spend some time getting reacquainted with it. Do you have any examples or videos which show how these work? I'd like to see if there's anything worth adding, or just sticking with the standard fade utility that comes with LaunchBox/BigBox. 

Not at the moment but if you been following my Cinematic themes for LaunchBox can use those fades or any other mp4 video that you want. The default folder for the videos go (As an example):

Fade In:

RocketLauncher\Media\Videos\Fade In\Atari 2600\_Default.mp4

RocketLauncher\Media\Videos\Fade In\Atari 2600\Adventure (USA).mp4

Fade Out:

RocketLauncher\Media\Videos\Fade Out\Atari 2600\_Default.mp4

RocketLauncher\Media\Videos\Fade Out\Atari 2600\Adventure (USA).mp4

* Note: Whatever your roms names are that is what you use to name your fade videos. 

** If no rom fade in/out video is found it will look for a _Default fade in/out video next.

Just setup RocketLauncher like you would normally do in LaunchBox and it will automatically search those folders and play the videos before running the game. Just make sure you have installed VLC  https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and in that Global.ahk you can edit the lines of code where the path is I already put in the default location where it installs typically and also change the paths to the Video Fade In/Out folder to where you want to put them on your setup if you want and that is all.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

I have not included any video fades since I haven't had time to create any at the moment but anyone can create them but at least this gives you the capability to have them now or create your own. This still works with RL built in fades so if you want to just use those then just leave that enabled and if no fade in/out video is found it will just launch the game.

Any fade in/out videos that I create can be found over on EmuMovies FTP and can see them in action on my YouTube channel:

EmuMovies FTP:

/Upload Here/_Other/Krakerman/

YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KrakermanSD

Edited by Krakerman

Also within VLC there is a setting you need to check to be always on top. It's under the Tools\Preferences\Video.

Update

I just added it to the code so you don't have to edit the setting in VLC. The first post has all the latest Global.ahk updates.

Edited by Krakerman

Not sure you are talking about RocketLauncher Multi-Game support? I actually have never used it before sorry.

To be honest I found RocketLauncher to have some quirky effect and results  that don't work exactly how I want them too that is why I am moving away from RocketLauncher and coding my own Launchers for LB/BB that have most of the features that RocketLauncher has but keeping it more simplistic but this weekend I have added Marquee and Bezel support to my Launcher and personally think it works much better and uses less code to achieve it. These also work from within LaunchBox and BigBox.

My Launcher also has Cinematic startup/shutdown fade support as well just like I did with RocketLauncher.

Hope someone else can chime in and help you with that issue.

Edited by Krakerman

I am actually in process of removing RocketLauncher from my system as it's no longer needed as I now have been coding my own Launchers for LaunchBox that include much of the same features that RL has and adding a few more things. Just this weekend have added Marquee and Bezel support.

As much as I have liked and have used RL in the past I have found too many issues plus it's no longer being developed. So I decided to create my own Launchers which I like doing and is similar to RL modules in a way using AHK plus doing this I have more control on how I want things to work for my own personal setup with LaunchBox. Things missing in LaunchBox like bezels, instruction cards, cinematic fades and marquees for LaunchBox but yes I know marquees are supported in BigBox but not LaunchBox up until now as I have them working and on any monitor of my choice along with the options to use a Default marquee or bezel if the rom marquee or bezel are not found as well as option to put the bezels or marquees anywhere making it portable.

This way I don't have to wait for one day when and if things get implemented. The biggest hurdle was bezels if I could actually do it in a way similar to how RocketLauncher does them. Well this weekend check that off my list as I now have them working perfectly within LaunchBox/BigBox. ?

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hey,

I'm new to the forums and have been trying all day to get this working. I have followed the instructions modding the file but no dice. Are there setting i need to set in RLUI to make this work? With fades on I get the normal system image fade. With them off I get nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!