LaunchBox Community Forums

Launch box / Big Box won't load Event 1000 and 1026 error

Waffle_the_Great

Hey all,

I for the life of me can't figure this out.  Everything was working fine and then yesterday the system just refused to load after clicking on it.  I looked around and found the windows event viewer and see I've got Event 1026 .NET runtime error and event 1000.  Suffice to say not entirely certain it means.  Here's what it says for event 1000:

Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x820fe2fd
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1049, time stamp: 0xc4675baa
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x001144c2
Faulting process id: 0x6fac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6905386957a81
Faulting application path: M:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 6784328c-ed77-4f70-9ad2-e871a357eae8
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

That occurred at 3:12:26 and then right after at 3:12:27 the log shows event 1026 as shown below:

Application: LaunchBox.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo)
   at LaunchBoxLauncher.Program.Main()

I reinstalled Launchbox on another drive and Launchbox itself seems to loadup now, but when I try to do Big Box I get a new 1026 error description as shown below:

Application: BigBox.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.26901
.NET Core Version: 3.1.6
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'R:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.dll'. Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.
File name: 'R:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.dll'

Suffice to say, I'm kind of at a loss.  I tried doing the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool but that didn't seem to work.  It just started yesterday.  I'm running the latest Launchbox 11.6.  Any help would be beyond appreciated.  Thanks!

From a programmer viewpoint, when this error occurs "Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid."  it is because the module is not a .net module or the file is corrupted. Check if you have any sort of trojans or viruses trying to modify your files . 

Also sometimes it happens on 32bits operating system even if the software is developped to run on Any CPU architecture but i dont think it is the problem, may i ask what version of windows do you have ?

Edited by Ahmad_k

5 hours ago, Ahmad_k said:

From a programmer viewpoint, when this error occurs "Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid."  it is because the module is not a .net module or the file is corrupted. Check if you have any sort of trojans or viruses trying to modify your files . 

Also sometimes it happens on 32bits operating system even if the software is developped to run on Any CPU architecture but i dont think it is the problem, may i ask what version of windows do you have ?

I have Windows 10.  Like I said earlier, it was working fine and then just did this.  Norton and Malware Bytes turn up nothing in terms of viruses etc.  I mean I could see maybe the original M drive it was one being corrupted somehow from a shutdown that went bad or something.  But this is installed on a new drive, brand new.  Seems strange that the Launch Box portion would load but not the Big Box portion.  Problem with Launchbox 11.6?  11.5 worked just fine and dandy for me.  

Edited by Waffle_the_Great

4 minutes ago, Waffle_the_Great said:

I'm not sure if I can roll back the version I have in my other drive as that has all my games.  

You can, you wont lose that data. However before you try that i would try updating to 11.7 beta 1 that came out yesterday. Essentially update before you roll back.

5 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Ha ha, yeah thats a good point, id then suggest the downgrade, turn on betas in that, and try the update. If issues, just roll back again.

There you go, there's a process improvement.  Create an outside application that can roll you back to a previous version outside of Launchbox itself if for whatever reason it refuses to launch.  For whatever reason I can only assume my system is configured in just the right way that it does not like 11.6.  I'll the 11.7 beta and then just reinstall 11.5 if it doesn't work.    

Hmm, I updated to 11.7 and the most peculiar bug happened.  It seems in between updating from 11.6 to the 11.7 Beta, it deleted the BigBox.dll file.  Launchbox itself ran in the 11.7 but Big Box wouldn't as this file was missing.  I reinstalled 11.5 and sure enough, it's there now, but it was deleted somehow in the update.  For that matter, looking at my M drive one, I don't have a "Core" file folder and I do in my R drive one now.  However, I had made a complete copy of it earlier and transferred that to an external one, and that doesn't have it either though it works without it.  Very strange.  But BigBox.dll file is definitely missing in my 11.7 Beta update.  11.5 seems to be the only version that works for me at the moment.  Kind of disheartening.  Would copying the BigBox.dll file to another spot before the update and then putting it back after work?  I don't know.....

Description: A .NET Core application failed.
Path: R:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
Message: The application to execute does not exist: 'R:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.dll'.

5 hours ago, Waffle_the_Great said:

Hmm, I updated to 11.7 and the most peculiar bug happened.  It seems in between updating from 11.6 to the 11.7 Beta, it deleted the BigBox.dll file.  Launchbox itself ran in the 11.7 but Big Box wouldn't as this file was missing.  I reinstalled 11.5 and sure enough, it's there now, but it was deleted somehow in the update.  For that matter, looking at my M drive one, I don't have a "Core" file folder and I do in my R drive one now.  However, I had made a complete copy of it earlier and transferred that to an external one, and that doesn't have it either though it works without it.  Very strange.  But BigBox.dll file is definitely missing in my 11.7 Beta update.  11.5 seems to be the only version that works for me at the moment.  Kind of disheartening.  Would copying the BigBox.dll file to another spot before the update and then putting it back after work?  I don't know.....

Description: A .NET Core application failed.
Path: R:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
Message: The application to execute does not exist: 'R:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.dll'.

Check your antivirus software. Likely it quarantined the big box.dll as a false positive which has been issue since the switch to the new Net.core  I know it does it on Norton.  So reinstall the program and whitelist that dll when it flags it.