LaunchBox Community Forums

BIOS Required Games Help (Sega CD)

CyberOcelot

Thanks to you guys, I've been able to get pretty comfortable with importing all my cart based games. ❤️

Moving up in the timeline, I'm now working on Sega CD, and BIOS required games have always intimidated me. The changing file structure was also a curveball, and now I have a few questions, if some of you awesome peeps don't mind taking the time to help me with...

Sega CD Questions...

1. I have both .cue and .bin files packaged inside of .zip files. Using older tutorial videos, I learned to extract these files and only import the .cue files. However, what was not made clear is whether or not the location of the .bin files matters? Since the .cue files are only 1KB, I'm assuming they're reliant on the .bin file they reference? So technically, shouldn't both of them be in the Launchbox Games folder for portability's sake?

2. If it's allowed, can you please direct me to a source you like for BIOS files? If not, how current should they be? I found an extremely old BIOS file for Sega CD, but wasn't sure it was safe due to its age.

3. Where should I download a BIOS file to? Is there a specific destination folder?

8 minutes ago, CyberOcelot said:

Thanks to you guys, I've been able to get pretty comfortable with importing all my cart based games. ❤️

Moving up in the timeline, I'm now working on Sega CD, and BIOS required games have always intimidated me. The changing file structure was also a curveball, and now I have a few questions, if some of you awesome peeps don't mind taking the time to help me with...

Sega CD Questions...

1. I have both .cue and .bin files packaged inside of .zip files. Using older tutorial videos, I learned to extract these files and only import the .cue files. However, what was not made clear is whether or not the location of the .bin files matters? Since the .cue files are only 1KB, I'm assuming they're reliant on the .bin file they reference? So technically, shouldn't both of them be in the Launchbox Games folder for portability's sake?

2. If it's allowed, can you please direct me to a source you like for BIOS files? If not, how current should they be? I found an extremely old BIOS file for Sega CD, but wasn't sure it was safe due to its age.

3. Where should I download a BIOS file to? Is there a specific destination folder?

1. the cue and bin files should be in the same folder, preferably named after the game, the cue is just a index file for the bin.

2. We cant post links to bios or roms for obvious copyright reasons, but the bios will likely be old, i mean its a early 90's system. Retroarch will actually tell you the md5 sum it wants for the bios files, so you can use a program to see what the md5 of the file you have is and if they match.

3. If using Retroarch (which is recomended) bios for most systems go directly into the Retroarch/Systems folder.

For example.

image.thumb.png.05039410f6d8d8c9a3ecf0f681811f64.png

• Game On 1