LaunchBox Community Forums

How I can organize any roms? A suggestion pls

xevious1974

Hi all,

my collection is becoming greater every day.
I am adding a lot of junks, I know, but I like to see demo, prototype games, also some software/editor, in the future I'd like to add also magazines etc.

So, what is happening?

I have a lot of missing media for junks and when I use bigbox I see a lot of junks that I dont want in that version.

I'd like to have only 1 launchbox/bigbox

In Bigbox I'd like only viewing main roms. For example for genesis in big box I want only main games, but I dont want to see demo and other junks.

I'd like to keep them all. I have already combined a lot of roms but some should be separeted.
So I have to move them in another platoform, or add to a list and make them invisibles (hidden) in the main platform?
And if I move them or add them...how many list/platform do you suggest?

Have you encountered such visual organization? How have you resolved it?

It's not a technical problem, it is a organization problem. Or it can be a technical problem if I dont know that there is some function that should help me. ( I am just learning)

Maybe you have some good idea to share with me.

(sorry my bad english)

2 ways 

1 - use the build in merging feature it will put all known versions of a game into one entry. including versions named differently from regions with unique names like France , Sweden etc..

2 - do something like this guy - 

3 hours ago, ALIE said:

2 ways 

1 - use the build in merging feature it will put all known versions of a game into one entry. including versions named differently from regions with unique names like France , Sweden etc..

2 - do something like this guy - 

thank you for your reply!
1) I have learned to use it. It is a very good option for same game but different version (regions or alternative versions/dump).
2) that a good idea! Maybe I can try to do it for some roms/magazines/software. But I dont think it is so easy. Do you think that the regions are list or are platform? I am wondering how he has built that.

Thank you again! A very good suggestion!! ^_^

Collections tend to get HUGE with the time, and implementing hundreds of systems into LB/BB is already a lot of work. My advise, keep only one single version, and test if it works, takes the same amount of time, plus you can actually play test the games and you are sure in the end when trying to run any games from LB/BB, they all work. My approach to this. 

9 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

Collections tend to get HUGE with the time, and implementing hundreds of systems into LB/BB is already a lot of work. My advise, keep only one single version, and test if it works, takes the same amount of time, plus you can actually play test the games and you are sure in the end when trying to run any games from LB/BB, they all work. My approach to this. 

Yes, I totally agree. It was my first approach and I have kept it for some years. For example I was adding only games that I like. I took my old Zzap! (for example) and I choose the game to add. But adding...adding...adding... something has changed. Now I am just curious to see if there is some difference. I know that it is impossible to see all. When I had Amiga 500, I had a lot of disks and I like also Demo, music (soundtrack!) and uty. In some disks I had interesting text to read (I have them somewhere but it is very difficult to import on pc). I'd like having that software again, divided. When I want to play I'd like to see in bigbox a clean install, when I want to see some software/magazine I use LB to scroll faster. Just thinking..
Yeah, you have touched an important point.

I’m going through all my sets since 1 year and check every single game, keeping only my favorites, does not only shrink down the collection, but also saves you from having several Barbie & Co. stuff in your setup. That takes a lot of time, but it’s absolutely worth the time spent. Of course that is what I personally do now, a lot of people want to keep every single game from the set, but that ship has sailed for me. 
I also did a favorite MAME set a while ago and it was absolutely worth it. Lately I was going through the TOSEC of C64, and it took me around 2 months to go through, and I ended up with around 2.000 games still, absolutely no need to keep it all, there’s a lot of trash on the C64. With the Amiga it was different as in my opinion the Amiga almost only has good games. 
The last thing I did some weeks ago, was going through all of the fan translations of several consoles and there are quite some of them. But having some great RPGs translated that never came out in English language is just awesome. 
One last thing is that having these personal “clean” sets is that I can now use them anywhere I want without doing it again. I use several handhelds with emulation, and Raspberry Pi and stuff, and I can just use my ready sets without having to start over. 

56 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

but that ship has sailed for me.

First of all, thank you for your reply. Talking is helping me a lot.

When I read this phrase I had a punch in my stomach. I thought "I have not that courage but I'd like to be free in that way". It is interesting to analize myself.
Thinking about it I am divided in that, I want to keep all and I want to keep only a part of games.For that I was searching a way to divide the software.
And you are helping me a lot because I'm finding a solution. I can keep all in LB and then create a list with only my favourite games, maybe divided for platform.
So I could be free to see all the games when I want to explore new worlds or I can browse only the one that I like.