LaunchBox Community Forums

Suggestion for LBDB: Consumer Electronics Platforms

Gooster

• Gooster changed the title to Suggestion for LBDB: Consumer Electronics Platforms

Some of them are (intentionally) mixed up in the Game & Watch Platform: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/platforms/games/166

I think they are meant to be there, since they don't have any other place (kind of a unwritten thing, probably because there's a core in retroarch that had them mixed up and a tutorial for that):

I'm using that platform to get metadata from the Database and have them as separate platforms for:

Bandai Electronics
Konami Hanhelds
Misc Handhelds
Tiger Electronics

So we would need NEW platforms to get those database entries moved where they would belong. The question is of course, what to call the platforms. "Easier" ones are probably Electronic games by Bandai, Tiger and Konami:

Spoiler

aeyaeyae.thumb.png.444ad25ad13fba1281b33560b2a0d9cb.png

Spoiler

aeyh.thumb.png.a80f0541695620615d0e9d5c5cb40f82.png

Spoiler

aeua.thumb.png.6f1eb2125ea3cc81a3a9c457d0ecee9b.png

Edited by kurzih

Oh, I didn't know about this Game & Watch platform.  Actually I think that's fine.  I don't see it in LaunchBox DB, though, either in the list of platforms or available as a choice when adding a new game.

EDIT:  very cool, I just watched the tutorial ... after watching this, I am suspecting that Game & Watch was a Nintendo brand, so I'm back to thinking that the Consumer Electronics (maybe the breakdown into Chess Machines and Electronic Games is overkill) idea I had is more generic and a little more appropriate.

Edited by Pike

20 minutes ago, Pike said:

Ahhhh, thanks!  Per my previous comment, this category is really wider than just the Nintendo brand, however, perhaps it should be renamed to make it a little more generic?

Sorry Pike, I should have been more clear about Game & Watch being from Nintendo :D My first touch to gaming back in the 80's .What is really cool is that they are bringing a brand new model with the Super Mario 35th Anniversary in 2020.

Hopefully at some point the Database Platform list will be tidied up (removing duplicate / empty ones) and will have some brand new (well, actually old) platforms too. There's a thread for new platforms here:

Edited by kurzih

I guess I'm beating a dead horse, but I can't stop thinking about this!  Since there's already the Ninendo Game & Watch platform, I think the logical path of least resistance is to keep that, and maybe add a new one like Electronic Games, or maybe Vintage Electronics?  Something that more accurately covers all the non-Nintendo devices.  Vintage Electronics could cover some of the more esoteric computers as well (e.g. Kim-1) that don't really deserve a platform of their own.

Edited by Goose