LaunchBox Community Forums

DLC GameType

Gooster

I thought I'd start a discussion here in the hopes that we can get some community consensus on the use of the DLC gametype. 

Someone has submitted some updates to the DB for SNES games that were download-only, as opposed to retail boxed.  In my mind, these are still 'Released' games, not DLC.  DLC would strictly be an add-on to an existing released game.  Especially with games these days, often there is no physical box at all, just download.  But, there's still a very distinct difference between a released (e.g. https://store.steampowered.com/app/460930/Tom_Clancys_Ghost_Recon_Wildlands/) game and DLC for it (e.g. https://store.steampowered.com/app/573832/Tom_Clancys_Ghost_Recon_Wildlands__Fallen_Ghosts/), despite the fact that both are download-only.

So, whoever you are, I am still respectfully rejecting your change to gametype for a game that I consider released, but I welcome some broader discussion here and will of course keep an open mind.  Please be respectful.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Goose said:

I thought I'd start a discussion here in the hopes that we can get some community consensus on the use of the DLC gametype. 

Someone has submitted some updates to the DB for SNES games that were download-only, as opposed to retail boxed.  In my mind, these are still 'Released' games, not DLC.  DLC would strictly be an add-on to an existing released game.  Especially with games these days, often there is no physical box at all, just download.  But, there's still a very distinct difference between a released (e.g. https://store.steampowered.com/app/460930/Tom_Clancys_Ghost_Recon_Wildlands/) game and DLC for it (e.g. https://store.steampowered.com/app/573832/Tom_Clancys_Ghost_Recon_Wildlands__Fallen_Ghosts/), despite the fact that both are download-only.

So, whoever you are, I am still respectfully rejecting your change to gametype for a game that I consider released, but I welcome some broader discussion here and will of course keep an open mind.  Please be respectful.

DLC or "Downloadable Content" is by its very definition not a game release. DLC is additional content added to a already released game. So in your example those games are released and are in fact not DLC at all in any way, as they are full games downloads and not additional content for a already released game.

The changes should be rejected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I got this one today.

The person is saying that it's useful to tag them as DLC because those releases did not have a real retail box, and so it's useful to enable the fan box art just for those games.

I understand that, but DLC is still the wrong tag, as that is not what DLC is, as everyone knows. Indeed, the status should have different options like Fabricio said: Retail, Download, Etc.

10 minutes ago, starplayer said:

I got this one today.

The person is saying that it's useful to tag them as DLC because those releases did not have a real retail box, and so it's useful to enable the fan box art just for those games.

I understand that, but DLC is still the wrong tag, as that is not what DLC is, as everyone knows. Indeed, the status should have different options like Fabricio said: Retail, Download, Etc.

Hmmmm I don't get it ... is there way in LB to have it show (or not) these images based on a filter?

5 hours ago, starplayer said:

I got this one today.

Yes, but classifying restored snes cards as fancard aren´t correct too but we were doing it as a workaround because the RECONSTRUCTED CARD TAG doesn´t exist and many people insist on keeping horrible quality scans as legit cards with distorted proportions, shadows, not cleaned backgrounds, etc and we needed to move the cleaned and restored ones to fanart as a workaround. We can´t be so strict with the database capacities considering all the flaws that it still has. Tagging it as DLC in snes was aproved months ago and wasn´t detonate any crazy crusade to seek and tag any digital release in other platforms. Nintendo Power and Satellaview are an anomaly in game market because they were a pseudo pre-internet, digital delivery that wasn´t common in other platforms with the exception of seganet.