LaunchBox Community Forums

Merging companies by using alternate names

viritys

I ended up typing this into another thread, but as it is a feature request, I'll add it here as well:

Some companies exist over fifteen times with different name variations; typically something like "Company", "Company Software", "Company Software Inc", "Company Software, Inc" etc. With bigger collections this causes ridiculously long lists to developers and publishers plus degrades the quality of our collections in multiple ways.

I think we should fix this by having the companies as editable entries and then play with the alternate names the same way we do with games. So if the main name is "Company Software Inc" with all the variations as alternate names, when someone adds a game with developer set to "Company Software", DB connects the dots and adds the game with the developer set to "Company Software inc". Thoughts?

• Like 2

I agree that this needs to be cleaned up, though I'm not sure that it can really be done automatically without some incorrect matches getting in there. But yes, this bothers me as well. I think really what we need first is the ability for the community to better manage developers and publishers on the games database website.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:32 PM, Jason Carr said:

I agree that this needs to be cleaned up, though I'm not sure that it can really be done automatically without some incorrect matches getting in there. But yes, this bothers me as well. I think really what we need first is the ability for the community to better manage developers and publishers on the games database website.

Also don´t forget about languages tag. Another postponed database improvement. Is a good option to know what official languages and fantranslations are available for a game. I know that there´s could be some reluctancy to add fantranslations as well as an archive, maybe for copyright issues? But just adding the info of that exist could be good.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 6:32 PM, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about automation but rather exactly what you say ie making managing the companies a possibility and specifically adding the alternate name field to handle the issue. There's some hassle of course, but I think it would sort itself out and long term the only tool needed for the community to get the companies straight. So when the community has manually added "EA" as an alternate name for Electronic Arts, when a person submits the game with EA as a developer and moderators accept it, it's added to that single company entry.