LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME style genres for consoles

yourmovecr33p

I'm curious, would it be an acceptable thing to add MAME style genre's to console games?

I find MAME's easier to filter as they are more specific. If I was to add a "Shooter Vertical" genre tag to say NES 1942 (which is currently listed as only "Shooter"), would that mess anything up / get rejected? This would be in addition to the existing tags rather than replacing them. 

I've done this before locally so I can create better genre lists... but that machine has long since died. If i go through the whole exercise of re-genreing again I'd like to do it in a more permanent way. 

13 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I just want a separate shoot 'em up genre for consoles.  By default, it is all lumped under the Shooter genre.  I don't have the patience to go check out every single game that fits under shoot 'em up, and curate their way out of the shooter genre. 

Yeah exactly. I went through and did that once system by system on my older machine that was running a different front end. Not looking forward to doing it again.

BUT if I am doing it again (and I am :( ) I want it to be the last time in case something happens. I was hoping updating the database would solve that but I guess not. Seems to have a basic set list of genres that you can choose from. 

I think my biggest pet peeve is the "Action" genre. So many random games under that.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:32 AM, yourmovecr33p said:

Yeah exactly. I went through and did that once system by system on my older machine that was running a different front end. Not looking forward to doing it again.

BUT if I am doing it again (and I am :( ) I want it to be the last time in case something happens. I was hoping updating the database would solve that but I guess not. Seems to have a basic set list of genres that you can choose from. 

I think my biggest pet peeve is the "Action" genre. So many random games under that.

I wonder if there are any plans to comb through the shooter vs. shoot 'em up genres in the future?  I know it is incredibly time consuming to get genres ironed out.  I love what is in place so far, and appreciate the work put into launchbox.  It is pretty amazing.  I just really like my schmups.  Oh, and Beat 'em ups are also all lumped in under the Fighing genre.  Which I think of as vs. fighting games like street fighter and the like, not double dragon beat 'em ups.

Edited by damageinc86