LaunchBox Community Forums

Best place to get working roms/chds?

Occelot

Hey guys, am I missing something? Is there a single place to get all the files required, test, and working for a specific game? The closest I have found was some on Archive.org.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, how do you know which version of Mame to run in retroarch for a given rom? And lastly, when running certain games like NES Mike Tysons punchout, I get weird lagging and sound issues, any idea what that would be caused by?

Thanks!!

Pleasuredome is the best place.

The Mame cores with a year in the name are based on specific Mame versions, you can check their documentation page for information on which. The one without a year is (or should be) kept up to date with the latest version of Mame.

Lower your audio latency, it's default is 64 ms which is 4 frames, lowering it will make it better but will require more CPU power so how low you can set it will depend on your CPU power. If you are getting audio pops or stutters then you may not have a powerful enough CPU or maybe you have some setting really messed up. Retroarch's default settings are pretty safe though unless your hardware is really underpowered.

Thanks. In regards to the CPU. Wouldn’t you be hard pressed to find a computer these days that couldn’t play an 8 bit program? 
I’ve got a 1080 graphics card in there, with 3.3ghz processor, 16GB ram, and an (dual... or maybe quad?) i5? It’s definitely older tho. 

Another setup I use with the same issues is the Nitro V15 black edition laptop. Are those specs up to snuff?

4 minutes ago, Occelot said:

Thanks. In regards to the CPU. Wouldn’t you be hard pressed to find a computer these days that couldn’t play an 8 bit program? 

Emulators are not 8bit programs for a start, so thats not really relevant. Most emulators, especially from the 8/16bit era only use the CPU for emulation, so the graphics card has no relevance there, also most of those emulators also only use one CPU core, doesnt matter how many you have, only one will be used. So basically emulators are using one CPU core on your PC and nothing else (RAM excluded) so all that matters is pure CPU core speed. If you push certain enhancements in emulators, then you will hit your CPU single core limit pretty quickly.