LaunchBox Community Forums

Combining Mame and Final Burn Neo

WraithTDK

I installed a full set of Final Burn Neo roms, and was bummed to find out that one of my all-time favorites, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 wasn't in it. So I'm thinking, I've got a crap-ton of space left on my 4TB game drive; so why not also download a MAME set? Have them both on my system. Get the best of both worlds.

Since they're all going to be registered as Arcade games, is there a good way to seperate which games I imported as MAME and which I imported for FBN? So I can make one set default to using one and another set to use the other?

47 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You may as well just use MAME, everything in the fba romset is in the MAME one.

Is that right? TBH, I feel kind of over-whelmed with arcade. So many conflicting opinions and reports. I do know that either way, I'm using RA cores instead of the full emulators.

5 minutes ago, WraithTDK said:

Is that right? TBH, I feel kind of over-whelmed with arcade. So many conflicting opinions and reports. I do know that either way, I'm using RA cores instead of the full emulators.

FBA, and now FBneo are offshoots of MAME, designed to run a smaller subset of the roms that MAME runs, mostly NeoGeo and CPS games, as well as some others. It is designed to run on lower powered hardware, hence the game selection not having some of the newer stuff that you would likely want. If you want a arcade setup then MAME is your best bet as that has everything from fba as well as more, just make sure to match your romset version and MAME emulator version for 100% compatibility,

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

FBA, and now FBneo are offshoots of MAME, designed to run a smaller subset of the roms that MAME runs, mostly NeoGeo and CPS games, as well as some others. It is designed to run on lower powered hardware, hence the game selection not having some of the newer stuff that you would likely want. If you want a arcade setup then MAME is your best bet as that has everything from fba as well as more, just make sure to match your romset version and MAME emulator version for 100% compatibility,

I see. That does make sense. Now that I think about it, most of the people raving about FBN were on the retro pi sub. I'm on a fairly beefy gaming rig; so performance isn't really a concern. I'll get a Mame 2016 set and use that core. Thanks for the help!

27 minutes ago, WraithTDK said:

I see. That does make sense. Now that I think about it, most of the people raving about FBN were on the retro pi sub. I'm on a fairly beefy gaming rig; so performance isn't really a concern. I'll get a Mame 2016 set and use that core. Thanks for the help!

If your going to get a new set I would just recommend getting the latest Mame set or at least one of the more current ones.

8 minutes ago, WraithTDK said:

HBMAME? That sounds like a good idea. Although, won't that mean that every time I run a core update, if Mame has a new core, it will break the system until I find a new rom set for it?

HBMAME is a completely different thing. Dont update the MAME core once you have them matched unless your gonna get a new romset. Or you know use actual MAME, it has less issues than using the Retroarch core.

17 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

HBMAME is a completely different thing. Dont update the MAME core once you have them matched unless your gonna get a new romset. Or you know use actual MAME, it has less issues than using the Retroarch core.

There doesn't seem to be a core that's just named MAME. There's HBMAME and MAME 20XX.

mame.png