LaunchBox Community Forums

Detecting gamepad from plugin

Hi all. Does anyone know if there is a way to set up my plugin to detect and respond to buttons pressed on the gamepad while LaunchBox/BigBox is running?

I have experimented a bit with SharpDX library for DirectInput and XInput but this feels like reimplementing something that already works in LaunchBox. Another thing I noticed is that the button numbers I detect via SharpDX are very different from the numbers that show up in the Settings.xml and BigBoxSettings.xml files. For example, the BigBoxSettings.xml has the following configs:

<ControllerSelectButton>1</ControllerSelectButton>
<ControllerBackButton>2</ControllerBackButton>
<ControllerPlayButton>8</ControllerPlayButton>

Whereas the values for those same buttons via SharpDX DirectInput are 48, 49, 55 (from state.Offset). 

When using SharpDX XInput I get the following values:

• 'A', int value 4096
  • 'B', int value 8192
  • 'Start', int value 16

Why does Launchbox think that these buttons should get have the numbers 1,2,8 assigned instead?

1 hour ago, SsjCosty said:

Why does Launchbox think that these buttons should get have the numbers 1,2,8 assigned instead?

I think the button numbers (0, 1, 2, 3...) are a sorta 'standard of the industry'.  Besides "1" is a lot easier to remember than the [more precise] Decimal value 4096.  aka, Hexadecimal value 0x1000.  (I'm sure there's a similar reasoning for Direct Input.)

But to call the 4 main buttons  A, B, X, Y doesn't really work when all you have is X, circle, square, triangle. ;) 

As for detecting specific button presses from within a plugin is well beyond my knowledge.