LaunchBox Community Forums

Help with MAME

Hydecka

Hey sorry to bother anyone. 
I found this forum doing a search to try to resolve the issue myself. 

I got Mame to play a few classic games and... for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make it 
launch on the monitor I want it to launch in. It's stuck in full screen on one monitor. 
I want it to be in full screen on a DIFFERENT monitor and can't figure it out. 
I feel dumb cuz I usually can do stuff like this on my own but its being weird. 
Searching for the answer myself was no help. 

1 minute ago, Hydecka said:

Hey sorry to bother anyone. 
I found this forum doing a search to try to resolve the issue myself. 

I got Mame to play a few classic games and... for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make it 
launch on the monitor I want it to launch in. It's stuck in full screen on one monitor. 
I want it to be in full screen on a DIFFERENT monitor and can't figure it out. 
I feel dumb cuz I usually can do stuff like this on my own but its being weird. 
Searching for the answer myself was no help. 

Go to the emulator folder and open the mame.ini in notepad or similar. Find the highlighted section in my image below, and change the number. 0 is default if i recall, mine is on 1 as it opens on a different screen.

image.thumb.png.50e841f6389bd72a16308f36c2ccac1d.png

2 minutes ago, Hydecka said:

I found it but when I tried that it wouldn't work. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks! 

Shouldnt be, may be somewhere else if you are using a derivative and not pure MAME.

image.thumb.png.773eb8279a257122ce0c8ceb6fa9877c.pngYour folder looks a mess to be fair. You sure you actually downloaded the correct file, looks like you may have the source code. Unzipped the folder should look like mine abouve.

I did it that way trust me. I re-did it now to be  safe. I don't know why its being so weird. 
Then again, this is a noob forum so I dunno. I could be just over looking something. 
I really do appreciate the help 

654654654654.jpg

+654+65+65+5.jpg

Edited by Hydecka

I'm hopeless. lol. 
I followed your instructions, made the INI file using DOS like this said, change it from auto to the monitor I want to use. I even tried different numbers to make sure I'm not being dumb. 

No matter what I do, MAME opens in full screen and it always opens on the same monitor. 

Now look, I can live with it like this... but I just don't see why its being so difficult. 
If you've lost your patience with me I understand. Sorry. 

Thank you so much... I just wanted to play some classic games like the Ninja Turtles Arcade and other stuff on stream. 
I love that there are people that know so much more about this than me and everything but I just wish it had an option in the settings
to choose a monitor. 

Ok I just spent some time with this to figure it out and hopefully this works for you.

First off, run Mame via the command line with the -v parameter,

mame64 -v

don't load any games, then close out Mame and have a look at your command line window. You should see something that looks like this:

screenshot_261.thumb.jpg.467664c81c18df09d30c4d770ce43c0b.jpgNow go to your mame.ini file and look for the # OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS section, set your screen to the display you want your Mame to output to, for me it was \\.\DISPLAY2

screenshot_262.jpg.9de3dc8e1b2ecb2d4c2eb130eae3bdbf.jpgThis launched Mame on my 2nd monitor.