LaunchBox Community Forums

BIgBox Keyboard Controls & Joypad Mapping

mickydoodah

Hi guys,

Ive done several searches and none of the problems seem to be the same as mine, well not exactly.

I have lauchbox setup and everything is fine, the emulators work, the joypad works with mapping it in the tools menu.  The games exit fine etc.

However,

BigBox is a different issue.  I cannot get it to work with the Joypad - Nothing on the pad works!

Even with the keyboard I can only use the Up Down Left and Right, Enter and X, the X button quits completely. 

What keys bring up the Big Box Menu?? so I can map the Joypad There ??   Youtube videos show having to map it in bigbox too, but I cannot fathom it, or what to put wher in the \Data\BigBoxSettings.xml file

I would really like to use the big box front end.

My controller pad is a terios t3 bluetooth.  There are lots of poor reviews but its been fine for the last 3 years with everything, works via bluetooth and xInput on most things.

The keyboard doesnt seem to do much.

I looked in to other posts and they say ESC or B are supposed to bring up the menu, but they do nothing here :(, wireless keybord or usb connected are the same.

Some others seem to suggest that this might be direct x related, I have re run updates, and I still have nothing.  Weird how it all works in Launchbox, but Nothing in big box, Like I said the arrow keys, enter and x seem to work fine , but i still cannot access the menu, go backwards (back button)

I have the latest versions of everything, weird .... it can't be just me surely....

19 minutes ago, mickydoodah said:

The keyboard doesnt seem to do much.

I looked in to other posts and they say ESC or B are supposed to bring up the menu, but they do nothing here :(, wireless keybord or usb connected are the same.

Some others seem to suggest that this might be direct x related, I have re run updates, and I still have nothing.  Weird how it all works in Launchbox, but Nothing in big box, Like I said the arrow keys, enter and x seem to work fine , but i still cannot access the menu, go backwards (back button)

I have the latest versions of everything, weird .... it can't be just me surely....

Sounds like, you changed the buttons at some point, back is Escape by default out out the box. Go to the Launchbox/Data folder and move out the Bigboxsettings.xml and start Bigbox after, that will reset Bigbox to default settings, does Escape now work?

Just now, neil9000 said:

Sounds like, you changed the buttons at some point, back is Escape by default out out the box. Go to the Launchbox/Data folder and move out the Bigboxsettings.xml and start Bigbox after, that will reset Bigbox to default settings, does Escape now work?

Didn't change anything at all.  Already tried deleting Bigboxsettings.xml  and restarting.

Im thinking that its keyboard mapping and maybe something to do with my British UK Keyboard Settings in Windows

OK so found a work around, it might be as im in the UK and different ASCii code mappings, not sure , have no idea.  I think these mappings may be ASCII anyway

Anyway heres what i did

Changed settings in BigBoxSettings.xml (in the /data folder)

This was False by default
<EnableGamepad>true</EnableGamepad>

This enabled me to use the controller - sort of ....

And also set keyboard back to 127
<KeyboardBack>127</KeyboardBack>  DEL Delete Acording to ASCII Tables but works as ESC key on my keyboard ,  don't know why ... But i have 3 keyboards and they all behave the same.

This now allows me to bring up the bigbox menu :)

Now I can use the keyboard to setup the controller which I have now done and it works great

So the problem seems to be my escape key mapping ... im still not confident in saying why but the above has fixed it.

Thanks for the help.

3 minutes ago, mickydoodah said:

Didn't change anything at all.  Already tried deleting Bigboxsettings.xml  and restarting.

Im thinking that its keyboard mapping and maybe something to do with my British UK Keyboard Settings in Windows

OK so found a work around, it might be as im in the UK and different ASCii code mappings, not sure , have no idea.  I think these mappings may be ASCII anyway

Anyway heres what i did

Changed settings in BigBoxSettings.xml (in the /data folder)

This was False by default
<EnableGamepad>true</EnableGamepad>

This enabled me to use the controller - sort of ....

And also set keyboard back to 127
<KeyboardBack>127</KeyboardBack>  DEL Delete Acording to ASCII Tables but works as ESC key on my keyboard ,  don't know why ... But i have 3 keyboards and they all behave the same.

This now allows me to bring up the bigbox menu :)

Now I can use the keyboard to setup the controller which I have now done and it works great

So the problem seems to be my escape key mapping ... im still not confident in saying why but the above has fixed it.

Thanks for the help.

Well im in the UK as well and Escape works out of the box, as it should. So whatever is interfering seems to be isolated to your PC, especially if its the same on different keyboards.