LaunchBox Community Forums

Why some roms are not imported?

LordShadowen

Why certain roms don't import and how do we know which ones were skipped?

Here's a specific example - a folder contains a complete set of 56 roms for Supermodel (Sega Model 3). The zips all follow MAME naming conventions.

The import is done for the Supermodel 3 platform, and the box "Force using MAME metadata" is checked. The import finishes, and it says "55 games imported".

It does not say it skipped 1 file. The same thing happens even if select all files from the folder or even drag and drop all 56 files. I only know a file was a skipped because I knew ahead of time they were supposed to be 56.

I did some manual checking and it turns out that this particular ROM has been renamed in MAME , but Supermodel is still using the old name, so I guess it's not in the database? But why it is skipped? Shouldn't it just be imported with no info so that we can manually edit it?

Also, in this particular case, I know which one was missing because they were only a few, but let's say there were thousands of files... it would be impossible to easily know which ones were skipped. Is there any way that LB can provide that information? During import or after? Audit does not help, because it only lists the imported files....

Finally, I noticed something really odd - if I try to import all the files again (wizard or drag and drop) that file is always skipped. But, if I drag and drop that ONE file, and only that file alone, then it will import it. Of course, without any metadata, but it will work. Why is this?

Very confused... :)

Duplicate files are skipped. There's a checkbox which says force importing duplicate files, thus not skipping any.

What I do lately is using the move the files into my LB game folder, instead of copying them to the LB folder directly and import them with use the files in their current location. Like that way you can obviously see what is not imported as it just stays in the folder you used for importing. 

Thanks for tip, but I don't think that's it.  That specific rom has not been imported yet, so how could it be a duplicate? A duplicate of what?

Also, just for testing, I checked that box "Force duplicates" and it still doesn't import it. I don't even have to finish the process, I can see it's not on the list at the last step of the wizard. Any other ideas?

• 1 year later...

What particular rom files are you having issues with? There should be 60 rom files based on the Games.xaml from SuperModel 3 emulator. So not sure which file you have the import issue. 

Typically if you use the option to "Force using Mame metadata" the 2 Sega Rally 2 prototypes (srally2p and srally2pa) do not get imported unless you uncheck the "Skip Prototypes" option on the Mame page in the import wizard. Just tested an import and below are the settings used. All 60 rom files got imported. In the last 2 images you can see one has 4 Sega Rally games the other 2. That is due to me unchecking the "Skip Prototype" so you can see how the import wizard skips over them.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.02.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.02.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.03.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.03.32 PM.png