LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Games Database Going Extremely Slow (Update: Thanks to Comcast!)

Hifihedgehog

I have been noticing for the last week now that the LaunchBox Games Database has been going extremely slow. Downloading the platform videos and scrapping game content appears to be locked at a slow 1 Mbps or less. And even worse, sometimes the scrapper downloads will timeout and I will get errors. I know for a fact that it is not my 1 Gigabit Ethernet which is working marvelously for 4K Disney Plus downstream and equally so for my Plex Media Server upstream. I also noticed that accessing the Games Database site, which is presumably the web version serving the same content, is going equally slow. Is there a workaround to this so I am not waiting sometimes 5 minutes or more per game or worse it often just timing out so I don't have to restart a scraping session? The bottom line is the LaunchBox Games Database is going slower than molasses in January... and here we are still only in December. ?

Edited by Hifihedgehog

OK. Here is the scoop: Comcast is throttling LaunchBox's Games Database. I switched to a self-hosted VPN using my VPS (Outline VPN) and my download speeds suddenly skyrocketed. I will be reporting this to Comcast and requesting an immediate fix. As it stands, Comcast customers beware: Comcast may be throttling your LaunchBox Games Database downloads. ?

Edited by Hifihedgehog

On 12/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, Hifihedgehog said:

OK. Here is the scoop: Comcast is throttling LaunchBox's Games Database. I switched to a self-hosted VPN using my VPS (Outline VPN) and my download speeds suddenly skyrocketed. I will be reporting this to Comcast and requesting an immediate fix. As it stands, Comcast customers beware: Comcast may be throttling your LaunchBox Games Database downloads. ?

I can confirm this as well. I hate Comcast, but I have no other alternative.

On 12/19/2020 at 2:51 AM, dragon57 said:

I can confirm this as well. I hate Comcast, but I have no other alternative.

I found the fix! Because of a recent software update to our cable modem, Comcast had inadvertently reenabled their broken "Advanced" Security. My family had already disabled this because this security setting is well-documented to preemptively block safe content. This setting should never have enabled itself because the modem is in bridge mode to our Wi-Fi router so the setting was "technically" greyed out. Technically, that is, but actually, no. In reality, the firmware update had reenabled it even though that should never happen while in bridge mode. So we had to go into the modem settings, turn off bridge mode, toggle the advanced security to off, reenable bridge mode, and finally everything has been merrily working again. Hope this helps!

Edited by Hifihedgehog
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, maliusmaximus said:

Would this affect people outside of America such as myself. I'm trying to import my snes database, turned off emu movies linkage and itys been about 18 hours and its about 15% done. Anything else I'm downloading at 50Mbps.

Is launchbox hosted on comcast? And if so how does the VPN improve that situation?

No, unfortunately. It was the ISP side in my case. I can confirm that using a VPN shows that also fixes it. It was my ISP's security features that, luckily enough, can be turned off from the client end.