LaunchBox Community Forums

What themes are there for a Vertical cabinet?

Psynaptik

Hi there,

I've got a dedicated vertical cab (using a 19" 4:3 monitor) that I use mainly for golden age arcade games and (mainly) for shmups. Currently running RocketLauncher and Hyperspin.

Tried to add a new steam game for the first time in ages and it was PAIN. Simply cannot face the agony of trying to get it looking pretty, so I'm thinking of just getting bigbox to run it. I'd rather pay and save time and stress.

BUT, I don't see much in terms of vertical themes. Search brings up a bunch of themes which are NOT vertical, and those that are seem to be for 16:9.

What I'm asking is...are there pretty themes for bigbox for a vertical cabinet? Because otherwise I'm stuck with hyperspin and RLUI (bleurgh!)

Edited by Psynaptik

• Psynaptik changed the title to What themes are there for a Vertical cabinet?
3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

There are two on the first page both have "Vertical" in the title. 6th one down and the 19th one down. I think there was another one.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/category/2-big-box-custom-themes/

Maybe I'm missing something, but they both seem to be for 16:9 widescreen monitors? What I need is 4:3 vertical (3:4).

I'm slightly surprised that I'm the only one looking for this.

4 hours ago, Psynaptik said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but they both seem to be for 16:9 widescreen monitors? What I need is 4:3 vertical (3:4).

I'm slightly surprised that I'm the only one looking for this.

I'm not, most user's posts I have seen on our forum are for vertical orientations of a 16:9 monitor.

You could always use the Community Theme Creator and make your own theme. Look in the 3rd party Released subforum and the Community Creator tool is there. It is pretty easy to use to make a theme.

Oh okay. I might well do that if it's quite easy. TBH, it can't be any harder than managing a game collection with hyperspin et al.!

Would be nice to contribute something back if it works out. Thanks for the pointers.

I find it strange that people are looking for vertical 16:9! Most people into TATE games like early arcade or shmups are looking for 4:3 rotated aspect. Why would people use 16:9 vertical? Is there a genre of games I've missed?

So I've bought BigBox and downloaded Community Theme Creator. Opened it up.

Generated Fake Rom List but don't see any fake roms appearing in the preview windows.

Also, even though I've got the Theme Creator stretched on my 3:4 (1024x1280) monitor, and create a new theme, it's still making it 4:3 1280x1024.

I also can't find anyway of previewing the theme to test how it works. Do I have to publish -> open BigBox -> reload theme to see any changes I make?

I've got to say I'm totally lost. I've looked in the guides section but there are no tutorials/guides on how to get started making your own theme ANYWHERE.

Even on the authors YouTube channel each video is an update of latest features (understandable), but are there any good videos/docs where someone has shown you how to get started?

I'm really keen to get to grips with it, but kind lack of docs or any resource makes it difficult to work things out. Ultimately I'd like something with the nice game wheel on the side etc. Are there any themes that I could at least load up and deconstruct to start with?

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Psynaptik said:

So I've bought BigBox and downloaded Community Theme Creator. Opened it up.

Generated Fake Rom List but don't see any fake roms appearing in the preview windows.

Also, even though I've got the Theme Creator stretched on my 3:4 (1024x1280) monitor, and create a new theme, it's still making it 4:3 1280x1024.

I also can't find anyway of previewing the theme to test how it works. Do I have to publish -> open BigBox -> reload theme to see any changes I make?

I've got to say I'm totally lost. I've looked in the guides section but there are no tutorials/guides on how to get started making your own theme ANYWHERE.

Even on the authors YouTube channel each video is an update of latest features (understandable), but are there any good videos/docs where someone has shown you how to get started?

I'm really keen to get to grips with it, but kind lack of docs or any resource makes it difficult to work things out. Ultimately I'd like something with the nice game wheel on the side etc. Are there any themes that I could at least load up and deconstruct to start with?

Thanks!

Questions on using the tool are best posted in Y2guru's support thread in the 3rd party sub-forum.

If you watch some of Faeran's video you can see how he builds themes and he gives tips on using the tool. He also provides the theme templates to load and modify as well. The theme creator tool does come with a couple pre-made themes you can play with.

To test your theme you do have to publish it.