LaunchBox Community Forums

ideal metadata import settings

jajamelony

Hi,

New premium user here with large collection of roms. I've only added two systems to Launcbox and all the supporting metadata is approaching 20gb. 

Question; what are the minimal settings for importing/scrapping box covers and other media to get a system that does not show empty boxes for titles? Even with 20gb I have a ton of empty icons showing. I realize this may be due to naming convention but 20gb of box covers and screenshots is ALOT of data already. 

Ideally what should I be selecting in Launchbox when adding roms in terms of mimimal metadata setup?

thanks

jaja

Edited by jajamelony

There is no perfect method, as you've already mentioned naming can have a big effect.

I don't know how many roms you have in those 2 platforms, but by chance are you downloading videos from Emumovies as well? That will make the size balloon fast.

I don't like multiple images per category myself, and wish there was a 1 category, 1 image option. For now, I import using only the LB database. Then i check if there are some I don't like or have multiple images and delete those. After that I run the media download again using only Emumovies and select the option to not overwrite metadata. You still have to do a lot of manual curating, but seems the only way currently. I have tried several 2rd party tools to help and scrape from other locations, but I haven't found one that satisfied all my needs yet.

Thank you. I deselected movies and music but that did not help much.

I think there should be a minimal option in the metadata setting based on availability, another word if 90% of games have 3D boxes then 3D boxes should be part of the "minimal" setup. I am  sure the folks behind Launchbox have metrics available to tell them which category has most images available right? and based on that we the end users should see that percentage when we're presented with 20+ options for various metadata elements. That way we can make an intelligent decision as to what is really worth downloading....

thanks

jaja

Box - Front typically is what is used. You will have holes in your artwork if you have a lot of games that don't match up to the Games DB but that image type will get you closest to what you are asking for. If you are premium the main 3 image types I would consider grabbing are:

Box - Front
Screenshot - Gameplay
Clear Logo (if you DON'T use a text list view in Big Box, if you prefer text view can skip this one)