LaunchBox Community Forums

Idea for how to handle randomizer roms

The T

Not sure where best to post this, but I had an idea that's not really a feature request per se, since it would probably best be handled outside LaunchBox.

The idea would be: Any time you want to play a randomized game, you'd randomize the ROM as normal and put it into a specific folder for that randomized game.

Then write up a simple program that would search that folder for any rom, and launch it/feed it into LaunchBox. (Alternately: if there are multiple roms, maybe this program would then let you pick which one?)

The reason why you wouldn't want to just rename each randomized rom so it matches whatever LaunchBox is launching, is because the emulator would then keep using the same save file for each.

As someone who doesn't program: how doable would this be really? Or would it be workable as a LaunchBox feature?

3 hours ago, The T said:

The idea would be: Any time you want to play a randomized game, you'd randomize the ROM as normal and put it into a specific folder for that randomized game.

Guess I misread this statement about wanting to play a randomized game. Did not quite relate that to your title.

I am vaguely familiar with game randomizers, but aren't those romhacks/mods. If so, maybe you can add them to your regular game as additional apps so you can choose between the regular game and the randomized game. Alternatively, if anything needs to be copied, you can easily create a .bat file or autohotkey script and add that as an additional app to your regular game. (I am sorry if I misunderstood, but I once read about Pokemon randomizers and that is all I know, I don't know how those randomizers work in practice.)

Ok, so I will clarify the use case:

Normal way randomizers work:

1. You load the rom into the randomizer, and it spits out a brand new, randomized rom, with a unique file name that includes the specific seed and maybe our values like the flag.
2. You play that rom.
3. You do not rename that rom to be just "[Game] randomized", because then it will load the save file of the previously randomized game, which can cause problems.

That is why I am suggesting some way to:
1. Randomize the rom.
2. put that randomized rom in a folder.
3. Have Launchbox know "any rom in this folder belongs to the "[Game] randomized" entry, without having to re-import it every single time.

The reason for this is:
1. To avoid having to re-import the randomized ROM every time you make a new one, since most are single-session games anyway (but not always).
2. To not have to constantly delete old randomized ROMs you've completed.

• 2 years later...

The thread is old but I couldn't resist joining in on the discussion, even though it's been a couple of years.
I must say, your idea for handling randomizer ROMs is quite clever! Creating a separate folder for each randomized game and using a simple program to launch the ROMs sounds like a nifty solution. It keeps things organized and avoids messing up save files in the emulator. Well done!
By the way, if you're looking for gaming tools or resources, https://flipsimu.com/dice-roller/roll-d4/ is still a great place to check out. They have a cool dice roller and other nifty features that might enhance your gaming experience.

Edited by angelaclarkson