LaunchBox Community Forums

Switch from HyperSpin to Launchbox/Big Box

BlackPredator72

I've got a fully self configured, self collected and working 12TB setup with HyperSpin and RocketLauncher and has 180 systems, 7500 game themes and about 13000 bezels for different systems (not only MAME or RetroArch..

I recently purchased a Big Box license just to see if it's really that great what everybody says. I did a test on my other pc with only Windows games and that wasn't that hard and is looking very good. Downloaded some theme videos too.

But I'm not sure if I want to start all over with configuring 180 systems cause I already see some things that aren't that easy. Or maybe they are but I can't see it yet.

For example all the system.xml files. Yes I can import the current ROM folders and create LB romlist files but what about all the extra info that was in there? I searched here but I couldn't find a converter tool.

Then I have all those game themes that aren't theme videos like in LB, but gamename.zip but I read that the HS crew wasn't happy if LB could use those files, so can't use them anymore.

Last thing, all my bezels for all different kind of systems that aren't MAME or RetroArch will be useless? Or maybe they can be managed if I can integrate LB with RL somehow.

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial step by step for converting from HS/RL to LB/RL?

4 hours ago, BlackPredator72 said:

I've got a fully self configured, self collected and working 12TB setup with HyperSpin and RocketLauncher and has 180 systems, 7500 game themes and about 13000 bezels for different systems (not only MAME or RetroArch..

I recently purchased a Big Box license just to see if it's really that great what everybody says. I did a test on my other pc with only Windows games and that wasn't that hard and is looking very good. Downloaded some theme videos too.

But I'm not sure if I want to start all over with configuring 180 systems cause I already see some things that aren't that easy. Or maybe they are but I can't see it yet.

For example all the system.xml files. Yes I can import the current ROM folders and create LB romlist files but what about all the extra info that was in there? I searched here but I couldn't find a converter tool.

Then I have all those game themes that aren't theme videos like in LB, but gamename.zip but I read that the HS crew wasn't happy if LB could use those files, so can't use them anymore.

Last thing, all my bezels for all different kind of systems that aren't MAME or RetroArch will be useless? Or maybe they can be managed if I can integrate LB with RL somehow.

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial step by step for converting from HS/RL to LB/RL?

I haven't ever stopped using rocketlauncher, so I can give you some pointers on that sometime if you want.  When I first switched over I moved all my media into the appropriate folders of launchbox (box front, back, disc, cart, etc.)  and then when I imported the romsets I didn't select any media from the scrapers, and it matched pretty well.  The awesome thing about launchbox is that you won't have to mess with any xml crap, you just rick click and get to the media window and from there you can manually point to any missing media from your HQ Hyperspin set that actually is in the folder, that LB just missed.  Since you are running through Rocketlauncher, the only thing you will be doing by importing your romset into launchbox, is setting up all the metadata, and images and videos.  It will all still run through rocketlauncher just like it does right now.

I don’t think launchbox has an option to search/import media locally. That will be great. Don’t miss understand me. You do have the option to import individual media like images art and videos including audio/mp3 etc but you will have to do it one by one which will take for ever. My recommendation is to just copy/import the roms and let launchbox scrape your media. Once its done that then manually add what ever you are missing. This is what I’m doing now but it take long time because some stuff I cannot find it so I have to either google it and my my own or manually download and edit theme and games videos. Overall Launchbox is really good I def recommend it

1 minute ago, J2chulo said:

I don’t think launchbox has an option to search/import media locally. That will be great. Don’t miss understand me. You do have the option to import individual media like images art and videos including audio/mp3 etc but you will have to do it one by one which will take for ever. My recommendation is to just copy/import the roms and let launchbox scrape your media. Once its done that then manually add what ever you are missing. This is what I’m doing now but it take long time because some stuff I cannot find it so I have to either google it and my my own or manually download and edit theme and games videos. Overall Launchbox is really good I def recommend it

You can just drag and drop media to the correct Launchbox folders, no more difficult than that, you dont have to do it in the UI, just do it through explorer like you would when moving any other files. You can also if you want point Launchbox to your existing folders and it will use those, that method would be more manual work though. When you import a system Launchbox will create the media folders, regardless of if you actually specified to download any media or not. So once the roms are in you can use either method i just mentioned to use your existing media, as long as the files are using the actual game name, or the name of the actual file, Launchbox should pick up the media.

Hmm ok but when you have 3 or 4 videos for the same game. Also you will have to remane about 12-15 diferent smages including 3d box, front box, logo, cabinet, fan art, etc etc. it will be nice to import from and xml or similar

Edited by J2chulo

On 2/1/2021 at 3:02 PM, BlackPredator72 said:

This tutorial was very helpful: LaunchBox & RocketLauncher: Switch from ANY FrontEnd in Minutes!

Now I only have to import the rom folders and every settings that has been made in Rocket Launcher is still usable in LaunchBox.

So at least that saves me a lot of configuring and I still have my Bezels

I remember watching this and it was my tipping point going from HS to LB. I managed to repurpose most of my hs media and thanks to colpipes, I was able to dl a nearly fully configured setup of LB with RL. Funny, even tho it was nearly complete....I still havent finished it and that was around 1.5 years ago