LaunchBox Community Forums

need help getting started

tweeder

I have followed numerous videos on youtube with no success.  I'm not sure of alot of the terminology and alot of the videos are set up differently than what it looks like on my screen .  I have launchbox installed with retroarch properly installed, I believe?  I have game cabal right now to keep it simple to start then ill add the ones I want later.  So for the cabal game, its in the games folder and its a compressed file.  Is that fine?  The game is in launchbox but does nothing when I click on it.

If you try to run the game but nothing happens, it's likely the associated core isn't installed in RetroArch.

What platform is your copy of Cabal for? NES? Assuming it is NES, LaunchBox will try use the NEStopia core in RetroArch. You can check if the core is installed through LaunchBox under the Tools -> Manage Emulators menu, then select RetroArch and click edit and check the Associated Platforms tab.

image.thumb.png.0072ced383c5ed86aed1178a3c205e03.png

If the core is missing, run RetroArch. Select Main Menu, then on the right select Load Core. On the next screen select Download a Core.

image.thumb.png.75cf341fd3d1ad54bcc149dd02665497.png

You will then be presented with a long list of cores. Press 'S' to search, then type the platform (e.g. NES) and hit enter. Select Nintendo - NES / Famicom (Nestopia UE) and it will be installed.

image.thumb.png.263f181be287de0cac6983da2a87f903.png

Quit RetroArch, then try running the game from LaunchBox again.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, tweeder said:

how do i find out what a games platform is? 

First, and most important, get your game running in RetroArch before importing it into LaunchBox. Then, if you are sure it works, go to: LaunchBox > Tools > Import > Rom Files.

25640366_Schermopname(107).thumb.jpg.8f8ff424b296f2e024da86a90adab57c.jpg 

Then: Next > Add file/Folder > Next. Then select your platform from the drop down menu.

2008976039_Schermopname(108).thumb.jpg.53ccc355ee66cc2e680757c61c071ae4.jpg

1374403146_Schermopname(109).thumb.jpg.76d54e34bc92333dbda2a0984ae4dac2.jpg

Remenber or make a note of the platform name.

Then after the import process is finished go to: LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Emulators > RetroArch > Associated Platform tab and enter the "Associated Platform" name exactly like before. Then select the RetroArch core you are using.

2139385425_Schermopname(110).thumb.jpg.eaf7e8ab6cfe67afa3506a616273406b.jpg

BTW. LaunchBox should know that you have RetroArch installed. So before importing roms, add RetroArch as an emulator to LaunchBox. Go to: LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Emulators > Add. In the "Emulator Name" field type: RetroArch. Then in the "Emulator Application Path" point to retroarch.exe in your RetroArch installation folder.

2107050287_Schermopname(111).thumb.jpg.8537eaaccacee02890fe889c20e7896b.jpg

i think part of my problem might be with my games.  I'm not sure what platform they were for or where.  So I started again, im looking for pacman.  I wanted the origional this is what I found.  Im thinking the colecovision one is the one but is that one supported?

Edited by Lordmonkus

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Please don't post links to roms or other copyrighted content.

yeah sorry just wanted to show the names of the game and what type they were for guidance to know what one to pick.  Didn't realize they has links as well just copied and pasted.

First, obviously you must know what platform your games are for because you must pick an appropriate emulator (or in RetroArch a core) for them. RetroArch can have multiple cores for a platform. So it is advised to do some research about which core is best for you. Then go to: https://docs.libretro.com/ On the left side find: "For Users > Core Library: Emulation". It tells you what cores are available and how to set them up, if you need bios files and what file extensions (formats) a core can use.

Edited by Koroth