LaunchBox Community Forums

Losing visuals, but sound still on...

floodie

Off the back of my messagethe other day, can anyone give any ideas off the back of this video.

It shows the gigabyte logo, then seems like the screen drops but all stays working in the back ground fine as you can hear bigbox intro vid and the main wheels load up and control it fine... Faulty monitor???. If faulty why does it always show the boot up fine yet drop when it seems windows loads....

heelppp.. thank you

Edited by floodie

Id guess a driver or resolution/framerate mismatch. The display drivers are not loaded until Window is, so they are not used in the bios/post screens, it's as soon as windows loads that you lose image. Id try booting in safe mode so that windows uses the default display driver and see if that shows.

yes i did think this - However it also looks like the power to the monitor drops as you get an "off" black screen (you can tell when a monitor is still on yet its black if you know what i mean). 

I will try safe mode tomorrow when i next get to the machine... Couple of questions lets say it goes into Safe mode fine. What then?... Also, why would it suddenly do this after 4 months of being fine every day?

thanks Neil

1 minute ago, floodie said:

yes i did think this - However it also looks like the power to the monitor drops as you get an "off" black screen (you can tell when a monitor is still on yet its black if you know what i mean). 

Yeah but if the PC is not sending a display signal the monitor would turn off (assuming it is a actual monitor and not a TV?), how are you getting sound out, is that from the monitor/TV or separate speakers, if separate are they phono connected to the motherboard?

4 minutes ago, floodie said:

Couple of questions lets say it goes into Safe mode fine. What then?... Also, why would it suddenly do this after 4 months of being fine every day?

If it boots correctly in safe mode using the default Windows display driver then its a pretty good bet you have a corrupted display driver, are you using Nvidia or AMD? (i'm assuming its not integrated graphics?). To fix it i would do a "clean" driver install, so download the most recent driver for your GPU and also download DDU, Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.7 (guru3d.com). Boot into safe mode and run DDU to completely uninstall the old driver, restart and install the new one.

As for why this happened, who knows, computers be weird sometimes, and things can/do corrupt on occasions.

Thanks Neil. It is a nice IPS monitor, and the audio comes straight out of the motherboard to the amp which drives the sub and 2 sony's.

Ah so typical windows and a corrupted driver. It is an APU - a Ryzen 2400G, when teamed with Fast ram it is perfect for everything up to ps2 (if you dont want the uber flashy resolutions). I will try to DDU and then reinstall the APU graphics driver see how it goes. Thanks alot mate

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Neil - back to you with how things went, and wondering if you can help.

So, we did what you said, safe mode > removed everything using DDU.. rebooted..... installed the uptodate GPU drivers... All seemed fine for an hour, would play etc... Then all of a sudden, screen went black > no signal on monitor... When trying to reboot we see the Gigabyte splash screen then after this is stays dead, the exact same problem as we thought we had just fixed.

It seems something has corrupted the graphics driver AGAIN?... Any ideas?.. thanks very much