LaunchBox Community Forums

Total Noob wanting some help with Retroarch

Pepperami

Hey guys!

Firstly to let you all know, I am using a 2 player Bartop Arcade and this has 6 buttons per side, 1 & 2 player start buttons and a couple of Add Coin buttons, plus a 3 in 1 Admin button

So, like a lot of people im guessing, I downloaded a huge file which, when unpacked, was suppose to work right out of the box (In fairness it did for quite a lot of what it had to offer) and had Launchbox with lots of Emulators and artwork etc, but it seems most of it is via Retroarch and this is where I am having issues

I want to be able to setup a "DEFAULT" control setup within Retroarch, so that when I select a game, no matter what the emulator core is thats loaded, the controls are loaded on ALL emulators and games

I cant seem to find out how to do it, I have looked but it doesn't seem to be covered unless I have missed it ;(

I am at the point where I am seriously considering starting over and not using Retroarch at all, just a good emulator for whatever system I want to play its actually taken a lot of the fun out of this for me which is quite sad as I love the old Arcade stuff and the older systems and consoles

If anyone is able to help I would really appreciate it, I am of the older generation, I was a late teenager when Space Invaders hit the arcades, so I struggle a bit trying to learn sadly

Cheers guys!

This might be a question better asked/answered on the retroarch discord.  Mapping buttons in general in retroarch is easy though.  If you open retroarch (not via a game, etc., just retroarch directly) then go into the drivers/input section.  From there you can map your global control/buttons.  However, the problem is, retroarch also allows per core and per game mapping of inputs.  So, it really depends how this person setup retroarch as to if they've set it up via per game and/or per core input overrides.  Generally though, with retroarch, there is an order of loading controls/buttons, 1st is per game (if it exists), 2nd is per core (if it exists), lastly it's the global settings.  So, in theory, if you can map your general/global mappings to have all teh buttons do what you want, then (again in theory) if you go through the retroarch folders and delete any core or game overides, then those global settings should then be used for all emulators/cores/games.

I know this is not a great answer, but I'm not sure there is a one answer for this question because of all the possible ways retroarch can be setup.  Also, some cores do require per-core settings as some cores have extra options that you can map buttons to that might not show up in the global settings (arcade/mame for example I believe offer extra buttons that you can assign).  For me, I would recommend setting up the emulators and mapping for each platform you want to play on your own, so you can learn how each emulator/mappings work, rather than trying to use a pre-built package.

3 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

For me, I would recommend setting up the emulators and mapping for each platform you want to play on your own, so you can learn how each emulator/mappings work, rather than trying to use a pre-built package.

Yup, and this is exactly the reason we do not provide support for builds you may of downloaded somewhere that came with Launchbox. These forums are for Launchbox support, not support for a build put together by some random person on the internet, as troubleshooting such a build is virtually impossible, especially when the user doesnt understand how the build they have was put together in the first place or what does what.

You might be better off taking the roms from your build and starting with a fresh install of Launchbox.