LaunchBox Community Forums

How to remove strange MAME entries (floppy drive, joystick card etc)

Johnny T

Hi all,

I just received a Sinden Lightgun and I wanted to add a playlist for lightgun games. However, I could see that loads of games were missing from my library (Virtua Cop etc).

I have a full romset so I did a re-import last night but unticked "Skip non-working games" (I assumed that was why Virtua Cop etc hadn't shown up). I also unticked a few other boxes and left it running. 

I've now got lots of strange entries in my MAME list - "3.5 double density floppy drive", "4-Bit R-2R DAC", "4-Bit Binary Weighted DAC". It's like it's imported ROMS from actual components?

This is obviously due to something I've selected so I wondered if there was a quick way to get rid of all these entries? Can I filter by 'hardware' or something and 'delete all' or is there something I can do to keep the lightgun games but get rid of all these other entries??

Many thanks for any help you can give me

?

Edited by Johnny T

I think I've sorted this....

I created a Playlist (called "Delete Me") and Auto-Populated it with "Genre" - "is equal to" - "System / Device"

This lists all the devices (5,105 of them!!!) but you can't delete from an Auto-Populated playlist so then I edited the Playlist and deleted one game from the "Game" tab in the Playlist Edit window.

This then converts the Playlist to a manual playlist.

Then I could "select all" and delete them all from Launchbox (kept the files on my hard drive though just in case they were needed?)

Job done I think! ?

** EDIT ** - that wasn't "job done" there were some others I needed to delete. 

I created and deleted the following auto-populated playlists...

Genre equal to "Computer / Business - Terminal"
Source contains "/machine"
Source contains "/devices"

Hope that helps someone. If there's a quicker/better way of doing it then please post it. ?

Edited by Johnny T

2 hours ago, Johnny T said:

I've now got lots of strange entries in my MAME list - "3.5 double density floppy drive", "4-Bit R-2R DAC", "4-Bit Binary Weighted DAC". It's like it's imported ROMS from actual components?

That's why we filter MAME by default, there is a ton of junk that nobody actually wants there. ;) Those "machines" are actually in the romset, there is a ton of business software, as well as all sorts of other very niche things like calculators and cash machine software in a full MAME romset. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

That's why we filter MAME by default, there is a ton of junk that nobody actually wants there. ;) Those "machines" are actually in the romset, there is a ton of business software, as well as all sorts of other very niche things like calculators and cash machine software in a full MAME romset. 

Yep lol - learnt it the hard way :):):) 

Seems to be sorted now though. I have two playlists for my MAME stuff - "Every Arcade Game" and "Arcade Classics". The Arcade Classics is based off LMs All Killer No Filler with a few of my own faves thrown in. And the "Every" playlist is the LOT.

I do like having every game because it's sometimes nice to have a scroll through and play something completely random. However, you're right, that there's lots that you wouldn't want in there (literally thousands!!).

Thanks for your help Neil :)