LaunchBox Community Forums

Big box hang on low tier device

3dlollo

I can reproduce this consistently; got a small mini pc that use a celeron, as mini emulator pc; installed LB on it and I am using BB.

It runs fine, but then it just freeze at random, and I need to kill the BB process. Sometimes it freeze when you let it be for a while, which means leaving it be for 10-20 minutes (does not matter on which platform I leave it be), some other times it freeze and hang while you are switching platforms. I don't see this issue with my other computers running BB, but those are more powerful machines.

Not sure what is the problem here; I will try to switch themes and see if the problem is tied to a specific theme; or maybe to the amount of memory (this mini pc got 6 GB total of RAM). Did anyone experience something similar? My BB is stock, minus the theme which I changed from the default; and I have a bunch of videos and screenshots for each game and platform (including the theme videos); so my setup is pretty much standard, nothing special.

Not sure exactly if nobody care about this report or if I am missing important info to convey.

As now, I can't use reliably Big box (launchbox works fine); and I have no way to troubleshoot this. Considering I paid for the BB extra features, feel a bit disappointing to not be able to actually use it.

I don't see issues in the machine running LB/BB; it is running fine with LB, emulators run fine; so it does not seem to be an issue at hardware level. I don't recall minimum specs for running BB, so I am just stuck trying to understand what is causing the hang.

Any help would be appreciated; unless you have a support email which I could use to track the issue, instead of posting here in the troubleshooting forum. Thanks!

The following would be helpful bits of information to have before any one could help potentially identify why you may be experiencing issues:
What is your processor?
What is your video card?
What does your storage situation look like? What type of drive is the image cache stored on?
What operating system are you running? Are you up to date with OS updates?
Are your video drivers up to date?
How many systems/games are in your collection?
Do you have these issues with the default theme?
What version of Big Box are you running?

Thanks; here are the info

CPU: Intel Celeron J4115
Video card: Integrated Intel 9th gen UHD Graphics 600

Storage: M2 256 GB internal, the app is on this drive; while some roms are on the other internal storage, which is on eMMC. Both drives are half full

OS: Windows 10 latest update (as the week of 4/11/2021)

Video drivers updated? Yes, I am using the intel driver tool so everything is always updated

How many systems/games are in your collection?:  15 systems, 12K games in total

Do you have these issues with the default theme? Launchbox works fine, Big box does hang. I am using CoinOP theme (3.0) and Retrotastic theme (3.11). I did not try the default theme.

What version of Big Box are you running?  11.10

39 minutes ago, 3dlollo said:

Do you have these issues with the default theme? Launchbox works fine, Big box does hang. I am using CoinOP theme (3.0) and Retrotastic theme (3.11). I did not try the default theme.

Those themes are currently causing issues in the version of Big Box you are using. Switch to default and let me know if you still encounter the issue.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:39 PM, 3dlollo said:

Thanks; here are the info

CPU: Intel Celeron J4115
Video card: Integrated Intel 9th gen UHD Graphics 600

Storage: M2 256 GB internal, the app is on this drive; while some roms are on the other internal storage, which is on eMMC. Both drives are half full

OS: Windows 10 latest update (as the week of 4/11/2021)

Video drivers updated? Yes, I am using the intel driver tool so everything is always updated

How many systems/games are in your collection?:  15 systems, 12K games in total

What version of Big Box are you running?  11.10

You may also want to test out the Retrotastic version on the forums and see if that improves your situation. It's currently not the same as the version you download from within Big Box.

Retrotastic [Theme Stream] - Big Box Custom Themes - LaunchBox Community Forums (launchbox-app.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, finally got some time to play with my cabinet and got it solved. The theme was what would hang BigBox; I changed it to another theme (forgot the name, I think it is the normalized or something like that) and now it works fine.

Still trying to figure out how to configure BB to be sure the computer goes to sleep when I turn off the cabinet monitor, but at least now I can have the attract mode running while the cabinet is on. Thanks for the hints