LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Variable Refresh Rate Performance Issues

cobhc

Hi all,

Anyone else have issues with BigBox on VRR displays?

I'm using a LG CX OLED and with VRR turned on, animations in BigBox are choppy.

It seems to not be requesting exactly 60hz or 120 from the display and instead when both BigBox and Windows are set to 120hz it jumps around from 60-120hz. and when set to 60hz switches between 40hz and 60hz according to the FreeSync Information menu on the display. This is regardless of having videos playing in the theme or not.

Would love to get this resolved as VRR is so useful for games with non standard refresh rates (I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat!).

Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cobhc said:

Hi all,

Anyone else have issues with BigBox on VRR displays?

I'm using a LG CX OLED and with VRR turned on, animations in BigBox are choppy.

It seems to not be requesting exactly 60hz or 120 from the display and instead when both BigBox and Windows are set to 120hz it jumps around from 60-120hz. and when set to 60hz switches between 40hz and 60hz according to the FreeSync Information menu on the display. This is regardless of having videos playing in the theme or not.

Would love to get this resolved as VRR is so useful for games with non standard refresh rates (I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat!).

Any help would be appreciated.

It doesn't matter what Bigbox is doing, games are controlled by the emulator. So as long as you have vsync off in the emulator games will run at the correct speed.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It doesn't matter what Bigbox is doing, games are controlled by the emulator. So as long as you have vsync off in the emulator games will run at the correct speed.

Yes, but without VRR enabled on the display (which I have to disable in order for BigBox to not have choppy animations) I will get tearing/stuttering if the game doesn't run at the native refresh rate, or a division thereof.

Edited by cobhc
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, cobhc said:

Yes, but without VRR enabled on the display (which I have to disable in order for BigBox to not have choppy animations) I will get tearing/stuttering if the game doesn't run at the native refresh rate, or a division thereof.

Cant say i have noticed any choppiness, you sure it isnt the actual theme you are using? Launchbox uses WPF and doesnt stick to a set framerate, if you are sitting on a screen with nothing happening it drops the framerate right down to like 1fps, and when you do something it ramps back up to whatever framerate you have set in the Launchbox settings. Also screens with videos will only ever update at the framerate of the video being played, so usually 60fps.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, neil9000 said:

Cant say i have noticed any choppiness, you sure it isnt the actual theme you are using? Launchbox uses WPF and doesnt stick to a set framerate, if you are sitting on a screen with nothing happening it drops the framerate right down to like 1fps, and when you do something it ramps back up to whatever framerate you have set in the Launchbox settings. Also screens with videos will only ever update at the framerate of the video being played, so usually 60fps.

Yeah, I've tried 3 or 4 different themes and they all do it. I guess I'll have to settle for judders in BB as it's too much of a loss to have no VRR for the emulators.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cobhc said:

Yeah, I've tried 3 or 4 different themes and they all do it. I guess I'll have to settle for judders in BB as it's too much of a loss to have no VRR for the emulators.

Yeah im on a C9 OLED myself, and have Gsync on on that at 1440p 120hz, but as i say i havent really noticed any issues in Bigbox, although admittedly i use Launchbox more. I have Launchbox/Bigbox on my 1440p 144hz monitor, but games and emulators open to my C9.

• 9 months later...

I recently upgraded to a 144hz monitor to have low input lag without the screen tearing and stuttering and noticed the same thing in bigbox. It no longer runs as smooth as it used to with gysync enabled. Can't seem to find a way to smooth it out without turning off gsync. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matamian said:

I actually fixed the issue somehow. I did select 144hz in the bigbox settings originally, restarted and all but it stayed choppy. I tried it again yesterday and it's really smooth now. Only thing I remember doing differently is turning off HDR in windows. 

The refresh rate that i am running on my panel is not an option in bigbox.  My desktop is running at 90Hz so that freesync stays within the range my monitor needs.