LaunchBox Community Forums

Issue seeing game between Exit from Pause Screen and Shutdown Screen

CuzzinChizzy

Hi!  Just learned about Launchbox a few weeks ago, and it is a terrific program! 
I've already signed up for a Forever Premium account for Launchbox/BigBox, thanks to how easy and customizable your interface has been. 

The issue that I seem to be having is the least smooth part of the experience so far.

When I bring up the Pause Screen from in game, arrow/dpad down past the manuals and achievements to Exit,
and hit Enter or the A button on my XBOX One controller, the Pause Menu flashes back to the game before going to the Shutdown Screen (GAME OVER screen). 

If I use the Exit Game mapped button (XBOX Home button), it goes directly to the Shutdown Screen which would be the preferred behavior. 

I've attached a video clip of the issue, along with images of what my current settings are in Options, and in Tools > Manage Emulators > Retroarch.
The Auto Hotkey tabs are set to the default.  I've tried "Hide all Windows that are not in Exclusive Fullscreen Mode"  and
"Attempt to hide console window on Startup/Shutdown" form the Details Tab. 

No combination is seeming to make a change.  I'm wondering if it's part of the Launchbox code that has a delay between when the user
chooses Exit via the Pause Screen, and when an Escape or Exit command is sent.  Something that the Exit Game mapped gamepad button bypasses. 

Is there a way to make LB go straight to the Shutdown Screen when choosing Exit from the Pause Menu, without seeing the game again?

Also,
not sure if it is related, but I noticed that there is a delay between Resuming play and when the audio kicks back in when "Mute Audio During Transitions" is checked.
There is about 2-3 seconds of silence there, before the audio comes back in, well past the visual transition back into the game. 

Is there a way adjust LB so the audio kicks back in more seamlessly , without a 2 second delay when resuming play?

I think if these issues weren't present, it would make for a very seamless experience on an already great program. 

Any info would be appreciated : )

options1.jpg

options 2.jpg

retroarch edit 1.jpg

retroarch edit 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Kefka2b said:

Hey there, I get the same thing on all platforms and emulators, so I guess it's not something wrong on your side. Maybe a script wizard can solve this for us!

Something must be going on with how you have things set up. Most emulators can readily close from LB/BB Pause Menu. There are some sticky ones and they require an AHK in the "Exit AHK" tab of the emulator settings in LB. If you are saying all your emulators have this issue something is not right. 

Can you give an example of an emulator you are having issues with?

Also confirm if you are running the emulator or LB/BB as Admin or not.

Share some pics to help us troubleshoot. 

>Tools >Manage >Emulators and edit that emulator. Share these pics:

1.Details Tab

2. Pause Screen Tab

3. Running Script Tab

4. Exit Script Tab.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Something must be going on with how you have things set up. Most emulators can readily close from LB/BB Pause Menu. There are some sticky ones and they require an AHK in the "Exit AHK" tab of the emulator settings in LB. If you are saying all your emulators have this issue something is not right. 

Can you give an example of an emulator you are having issues with?

Also confirm if you are running the emulator or LB/BB as Admin or not.

Share some pics to help us troubleshoot. 

>Tools >Manage >Emulators and edit that emulator. Share these pics:

1.Details Tab

2. Pause Screen Tab

3. Running Script Tab

4. Exit Script Tab.

Hey there, it works I can use all the pause screen features, it's just as the OP said, the game shows up for a second between hitting ”quit game" in the pause screen and the ”game over" screen appearing, it should allow for a smoother transition. It looks like a flickering screen and can be jarring.

Really not an issue for me to be honest.

Would any of the requested elements help for that scenario? I can fetch them after work if they do.

(Emulators -> Retroarch, Cemu, Cxbx-R, Model 2 emulator, Supermodel)

Best

Edited by Kefka2b

1 hour ago, Kefka2b said:

Hey there, it works I can use all the pause screen features, it's just as the OP said, the game shows up for a second between hitting ”quit game" in the pause screen and the ”game over" screen appearing, it should allow for a smoother transition. It looks like a flickering screen and can be jarring.

Really not an issue for me to be honest.

Would any of the requested elements help for that scenario? I can fetch them after work if they do.

(Emulators -> Retroarch, Cemu, Cxbx-R, Model 2 emulator, Supermodel)

Best

Ah so I misunderstood. Yes, we would love it to be smoother, but from the get go Jason advised some transitions may not be seamless due to how some emulators run exclusive fullscreen and Jason did not want to do hack work to take emulators to windowed fullscreen as it could and in some cases does affect game performance. I believe in this thread Jason talked about this. 

13 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Ah so I misunderstood. Yes, we would love it to be smoother, but from the get go Jason advised some transitions may not be seamless due to how some emulators run exclusive fullscreen and Jason did not want to do hack work to take emulators to windowed fullscreen as it could and in some cases does affect game performance. I believe in this thread Jason talked about this. 

Interesting stuff, I'll actually see if using windowed full screen changes something to that behaviour and if impacts performance. If it does I'll just live with that flickering, but you know the quest for perfection is a never-ending journey 🤟

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2022 at 9:33 AM, Retro808 said:

Hey Retro808

After looking at that link you shared, I was just thinking about this thread/topic. Had me wondering something.
If the issue that's causing the game to show between Pause and Game Over screen is Exclusive Fullscreen,  do you think that by setting up AutoHotkey to send a command to the emulator to exit fullscreen in the background of the pause menu BEFORE the game attempts to extit,  the game would remain hidden?

It already looks like some of the emulators are exiting fullscreen before closing, so not sure if what I'm talking about would make a difference or not. 

• Like 1