LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a way to switch monitor output using Launchbox?

miccmike

I have both my PC and PS4 plugged into the same monitor. Is it possible for Launchbox to change the output so that when I want to launch a PS4 game, it just switches my monitor to the PS4?
This might be a longshot but it seems like something that could be doable.

2 hours ago, miccmike said:

I have both my PC and PS4 plugged into the same monitor. Is it possible for Launchbox to change the output so that when I want to launch a PS4 game, it just switches my monitor to the PS4?

No this isnt possible, i dont believe any monitor or TV support this.

17 hours ago, miccmike said:

Most newer TVs support HDMI CEC, which is a command message sent over the HDMI connection to each device on the HDMI 'network'. I use a Pulse8 HDMI CEC adapter with my HTPC, so when it is switched on, the TV and receiver automatically switch inputs to the HTPC. If I then switch on my PS3, it will auto switch over to that input (Bravia Sync must be enabled on the PlayStation, and the equivalent on the TV). I've not tried scripting the switch between the PS3 from the HTPC, but it should be possible.

While TVs support HDMI CEC I don't think many monitors do, but if yours does this may be an option. There are probably other options involving external hardware to switch HDMI inputs, but they'd be increasingly unreliable and hacky.

8 hours ago, fraganator said:

Most newer TVs support HDMI CEC, which is a command message sent over the HDMI connection to each device on the HDMI 'network'. I use a Pulse8 HDMI CEC adapter with my HTPC, so when it is switched on, the TV and receiver automatically switch inputs to the HTPC. If I then switch on my PS3, it will auto switch over to that input (Bravia Sync must be enabled on the PlayStation, and the equivalent on the TV). I've not tried scripting the switch between the PS3 from the HTPC, but it should be possible.

While TVs support HDMI CEC I don't think many monitors do, but if yours does this may be an option. There are probably other options involving external hardware to switch HDMI inputs, but they'd be increasingly unreliable and hacky.

I dont think a single monitor supports CEC, Also while you are right in what CEC does its really a standard for using remotes for one device on more than one device, so still requires a remote, or the device in question to be manually switched on in order to trigger the input change. This is not something a program would be able to do, at least not easily, to do what this user is asking there would need to be some sort of data transfer from the PC to turn on the device in question, and that cant be done over HDMI, as that is a display/Audio protocol, not a data one that can send/receive generic data from something like a PC. As far as i know there is zero way to turn on the PS4 from a windows machine, and therefore triggering the CEC on the TV to switch to the now active input once activated.

CEC is a useful feature in some situations, but i dont believe it applies here as the PS4 will still need to be manually turned on first, and what the user wants is for Launchbox to automatically do this when starting a Game in Launchbox, and thats without taking into account how you would even add these games and system to your PC in the first place, when there is no emulator to attach to this to even trigger the game starting and therefore powering on the system and making the input changes required.

It may be technically possible with a plugin if the power on over network that the PS4 has is readily available, but i dont know if that is closed source or not.