LaunchBox Community Forums

Any chance we could make the Games DB URLs match the database game IDs?

Johnny T

Hi there,

Currently the URLs of the Games DB on the website end in a unique number that doesn't match the database ID of the game.

For instance...

On the Atari 2600 - "Bionic Breakthrough" is here -> https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/83243

You would expect the game ID in the database to be 83243 but it is 133243

I wondered if it would be possible to either (a) set up the URLs so they match the games OR (b) set up some redirect pages such as -> gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/link/133243 that redirects to the correct URL ?

Is this feasible? 

Thanks ?

Not my place to say one way or the other if this is plausible or not, but i don't understand personally why it is needed. What does it matter what the URL is? Either you are on the database website already and are searching by game name, not ID, or you are in Launchbox and the simple act of clicking the Database ID takes you directly to the correct page, im not sure why them matching matters in the slightest?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Not my place to say one way or the other if this is plausible or not, but i don't understand personally why it is needed. What does it matter what the URL is? Either you are on the database website already and are searching by game name, not ID, or you are in Launchbox and the simple act of clicking the Database ID takes you directly to the correct page, im not sure why them matching matters in the slightest?

I've been making some software that checks the LB DB and checks it against all the games in your library for the chosen system. It tells you what games you're missing and what extraneous games you've got. It's just to feed my OCD to collect every game for each system (which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's something I'd like to do).

In the table I display the LB database ID and I'd like to make it an URL to link to the LB DB. 

The other solution would be to embed the URL into the metadata.xml and I could just read it out of there?

Quite a selfish reason - I know :) But I'm sure it would come in handy for other applications too.... :) 

10 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

I've been making some software that checks the LB DB and checks it against all the games in your library for the chosen system. It tells you what games you're missing and what extraneous games you've got. It's just to feed my OCD to collect every game for each system (which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's something I'd like to do).

In the table I display the LB database ID and I'd like to make it an URL to link to the LB DB. 

The other solution would be to embed the URL into the metadata.xml and I could just read it out of there?

Quite a selfish reason - I know :) But I'm sure it would come in handy for other applications too.... :) 

Well as i say the database ID is a link to the correct database page, so that already is the correct URL to the game. Why reinvent the wheel when the database ID already does what you want it too?

Clicking this,

image.thumb.png.ef4b2c64ceecc8259732619d9127b58c.png

takes me directly to here,

image.thumb.png.6392df87215606c03c5f715e18d21eec.png

So it doesnt matter that the URL is different, it still links to the correct page, so as long as your program can pull the actual URL from the database ID (which i dont know if thats possible or not) then the actual URL is irrelevant.

Or am i missing something?

• Thanks 1

Ha!!! Neil, you're a genius!!!

That link actually goes to another URL which does redirect to the correct place in the database! (even though the IDs aren't the same!!).

That's excellent. I just need to link to gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/dbid/..... 

Great stuff. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction matey :)