LaunchBox Community Forums

Region metadata is ignored on files with multiple regions in the filename

OhBoy

I'm not sure if this bug was introduced in recent betas, or if it's even a bug, but I'm on 11.12 final and when importing anything with multiple regions my region priorities are ignored. For example Pokemon Pinball on GBC has 3 versions (USA, Australia), (Japan), and (Europe). I have USA as top priority, but because the rom has "USA, Australia" in the file name LB ignores that it's a USA game and makes the European version the default. It does this with any game with more than one region in the file name.

Edit: I just noticed LB won't add a region to the metadata if there are more than one region in the filename. Bionic Commando: Elite Forces on GBC only has one region (USA, Australia), and when imported the region field is left blank. 

3 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Can you tell me the file names of the 3 Pokemon Pinball roms you are importing so I can accurately test what is going on? Please do not attach the roms themselves, I just need to know what the filenames are.

They are from the No Intro set:

Pokemon Pinball (USA, Australia) (Rumble Version) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible).gbc

Pokemon Pinball (Japan) (Rumble Version) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible).gbc

Pokemon Pinball (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Rumble Version) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible).gbc

I don't know whether it is the same issue or not, but for a long while any otherwise identically named rom with a longer filename will sort before its brethren.

For example:

Gamename (USA) (beta)

will always sort before

Gamename (USA)

It happens with other tags, too:

Gamename (Japan) (Sample) will sort before

Gamename (Japan)

This is the same logic that windows explorer uses, but unfortunately it messes up the priorities for a lot of games in the no-intro sets because that is how they are named.

On 6/23/2021 at 9:22 PM, Tomkun said:

I don't know whether it is the same issue or not, but for a long while any otherwise identically named rom with a longer filename will sort before its brethren.

For example:

Gamename (USA) (beta)

will always sort before

Gamename (USA)

It happens with other tags, too:

Gamename (Japan) (Sample) will sort before

Gamename (Japan)

This is the same logic that windows explorer uses, but unfortunately it messes up the priorities for a lot of games in the no-intro sets because that is how they are named.

Yup I believe both of theses issues are connected.

• 1 month later...

I've found in general that importing anything with multiple regions in the filename isn't parsed properly on import, and ends up with an empty Release field.

That's probably why it's prioritising Europe when deciding on a default, because the three data fields will be "Europe", "Japan" and "blank".