LaunchBox Community Forums

Atomistwave/Naomi Setup Help Please

RaiderX1212

I need some help with Sammy Atomiswave/Naomi setup.
I followed the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtPICSUuwbw&list=WL&index=1

Also, Flycast and not Rycast.

However the ROM download I have for Dolphin Blue on Sammy Attomiswave came as a gdi/disc file. Below screenshot.
I then used that as the ROM to import. The game starts up and then does not progress past the initial screen.

What am I doing wrong, any help please?

Downloaded Dolphin Blue but it is in GDI format, the video shows you must use .lst but the ROMS I find does not come in .lst.

File_Used.jpg

Frozen Screen.jpeg

38 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

Downloaded Dolphin Blue but it is in GDI format, the video shows you must use .lst but the ROMS I find does not come in .lst.

Are you sure that isn't the Dreamcast (fan) port? As far as I know Flycast does not support GDI for arcade emulation, but uses the Mame naming/file format. You can find Atomiswave games in Mame sets. Dolphin Blue is dolphin.zip.

*Edit*

The guide you followed is outdated. As zugswang points out, use a newer mame set with .zip instead of .lst.

Edited by Koroth

1 hour ago, zugswang said:

Use MAME roms instead. Latest set is MAME 0.233, though previous sets from this year should also work fine with Flycast.

Does the ROM set for 0.233 include Dolphin Blue?

I was only able to find Mame 0.206 when initially set up my Arcade platform in LaunchBox. It is a real mission to try and find Mame ROMS and also very risky.

It also takes forever to import the Mame full sets so I was hoping to have Atomiswave and Naomi separately.

23 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah if it is a GDI its not a proper Sammy rom, sounds like the Dreamcast Sammy conversions that have been done as already pointed out, you could try it in Redream instead.

I am afraid Redream does not run these games. It picks it up but when you try to run it, it just closes.

I believe you need something like Demul for ROMS like these.

1 hour ago, Koroth said:

Are you sure that isn't the Dreamcast (fan) port? As far as I know Flycast does not support GDI for arcade emulation, but uses the Mame naming/file format. You can find Atomiswave games in Mame sets. Dolphin Blue is dolphin.zip.

*Edit*

The guide you followed is outdated. As zugswang points out, use a newer mame set with .zip instead of .lst.

You are correct. It does appear to be the Dreamcast fan port based on where I got it from. I do use Redream for my Dreamcast emulation but it does not run these games.

It is a nightmare to find Mame ROM sets. Sadly I know you cannot post links here to help me. My Mame setup in Launchbox is version Mame 0.206. That was the only proper complete set I could find at the time. And still it was a nightmare to setup as off course I had to also search for CHD files for some of the games. I presume to get the newer set would mean deleting what I have now and re importing everything.

2 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

I am afraid Redream does not run these games. It picks it up but when you try to run it, it just closes.

I believe you need something like Demul for ROMS like these.

Then you may even just have bad roms, as they run in redream just fine for me.

image.thumb.png.a1b84cbcbe7bc0a271cfe5137702a857.png

4 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

I was only able to find Mame 0.206 when initially set up my Arcade platform in LaunchBox. It is a real mission to try and find Mame ROMS and also very risky.

MAME romsets are easy to find, just look on the internet archive, but your .206 set will already have all these games.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Then you may even just have bad roms, as they run in redream just fine for me.

image.thumb.png.a1b84cbcbe7bc0a271cfe5137702a857.png

MAME romsets are easy to find, just look on the internet archive, but your .206 set will already have all these games.

Strange, my Redream does not want to load it. It does bring it up like in your screenshot in that it shows the game art but when you try to run it, it closes.

My Mame ROM set does not include these games.

Arcade_Screenshot.jpg

3 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

Strange, my Redream does not want to load it. It does bring it up like in your screenshot in that it shows the game art but when you try to run it, it closes.

My Mame ROM set does not include these games.

Arcade_Screenshot.jpg

Your MAME romset does include them, they were just not imported into Launchbox because they do not work in MAME. They will be in your actual MAME folder.

image.thumb.png.b359634256f4344b482152a525b5d968.png

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Your MAME romset does include them, they were just not imported into Launchbox because they do not work in MAME. They will be in your actual MAME folder.

image.thumb.png.b359634256f4344b482152a525b5d968.png

Oh yes I see, it is in the ROMS folder. But how do I run them then?

I see there are 2 files for Dolphin Blue in the ROMS folder. I tried to import them under the flycast core (still using Atomiswave as the platform name) but it does not start up.

Screenshot_ROMS.jpg

23 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

I see there are 2 files for Dolphin Blue in the ROMS folder. I tried to import them under the flycast core (still using Atomiswave as the platform name) but it does not start up.

- Does dolphin.zip work directly in RetroArch if you select the Flycast core? Do you have the Atomiswave bios and placed in the proper folder? ( RetroArch\system\dc\awbios.zip ). If everything works in RetroArch/Flycast, only then import your games into LaunchBox.

- In LaunchBox got to: Tools > Manage Emulators > RetroArch > Associated Platforms tab. Search for, or enter the name of, your Atomiswave platform. (exactly as you have it named in LaunchBox, my platform name is Sammy Atomiswave.) and in the "Core" dropdown menu select the flycast core.

1 hour ago, Koroth said:

- Does dolphin.zip work directly in RetroArch if you select the Flycast core? Do you have the Atomiswave bios and placed in the proper folder? ( RetroArch\system\dc\awbios.zip ). If everything works in RetroArch/Flycast, only then import your games into LaunchBox.

- In LaunchBox got to: Tools > Manage Emulators > RetroArch > Associated Platforms tab. Search for, or enter the name of, your Atomiswave platform. (exactly as you have it named in LaunchBox, my platform name is Sammy Atomiswave.) and in the "Core" dropdown menu select the flycast core.

Yes!! Boom, that worked!

Thanks so much, I did not have the bios saved the way you indicated. I only had a bios as per the video I watched but from your post I went and found that bios online and saved it like you indicated.

Is there like a list of Atomiswave and Naomi games that is in my Mame ROM set so that I can know I need to set them under flycast Core to run?

How would I know which ROMS they are? I only initially saw Dolphin Blue an wanted to play that. I presume there are some other games as well.

I also named my platform like you mentioned, 'Sammy Atomiswave'

19 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

Is there like a list of Atomiswave and Naomi games that is in my Mame ROM set so that I can know I need to set them under flycast Core to run?

You could try this:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2695-rom-breakout-m2mvsm3demul-etc-0225-set

A bunch of .bat files to move roms from a certain platform contained in a Mame set to their own folder. (If you want to keep a folder with a compleet Mame rom set, back up your mame folder as the roms are being moved.) You can also open the .bat files in a text editor for a list of rom names.

*Edit*

To make it clear, those .bat files are for a .225 rom set. In an older set roms could be named differently or missing.

Edited by Koroth

I am really happy to have figured this out with all your help. Thank you so much guys. I love this forum and the kind help always available.

I must say I am very surprised that these ROMS where sitting in my Mame ROMS folder but was just not available to play. I thought when you import the Mame full set all those games would work. Its was also a bit frustrating that I had to search for CHD files for the likes of Street Fighter 3 and Killer Instinct.

Anyway, my Atomiswave set is looking good!

AtomisWave!!.jpg

• Game On 1

1 hour ago, RaiderX1212 said:

I am really happy to have figured this out with all your help. Thank you so much guys. I love this forum and the kind help always available.

I must say I am very surprised that these ROMS where sitting in my Mame ROMS folder but was just not available to play. I thought when you import the Mame full set all those games would work. Its was also a bit frustrating that I had to search for CHD files for the likes of Street Fighter 3 and Killer Instinct.

Anyway, my Atomiswave set is looking good!

AtomisWave!!.jpg

Launchbox only imports games that actually work in MAME by default. A MAME romset contains thousands more files than that though, there are tons of games in the set that MAME can't run yet, but hopefully will in the future, if a game is dumped it's in the set regardless of if it's emulatable or not. A MAME romset also contains a bunch of stuff that isnt even games, for example ATM software, calculators, business software, none of which you really want imported to Launcbox. So your MAME romset folder has far more in it than you imported into Launchbox, you simply only got games, and only ones that work.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Launchbox only imports games that actually work in MAME by default. A MAME romset contains thousands more files than that though, there are tons of games in the set that MAME can't run yet, but hopefully will in the future, if a game is dumped it's in the set regardless of if it's emulatable or not. A MAME romset also contains a bunch of stuff that isnt even games, for example ATM software, calculators, business software, none of which you really want imported to Launcbox. So your MAME romset folder has far more in it than you imported into Launchbox, you simply only got games, and only ones that work.

Oh OK. I had no idea. I wish I was at your level when it comes to this stuff. I always really battle to figure it out and then like in this case the videos on Youtube are outdated and lead me in the wrong direction. I am at 28 systems now so have been a long road but it is really exciting to get the games and emulators to work.