LaunchBox Community Forums

How to reduce Wii isos size?

legolas119

Hi, I noticed that almost all my Wii isos games have the same size: about 4.7GB. For sure a lot of these games doesn't use all this GB....is it possible to reduce the size wihtout losing anthing?  I'm using Dolphin emulator, and I read that it support wbfs format too. So i could convert my isos in wbfs format, in order to reduce the size, is this a good way? I suppose that in LB i simply have to load the wbfs file instead of the iso file, is correct?

I could use the wbfs files loading them  my Wii U too?

thank you!

Edited by legolas119

53 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

is it possible to reduce the size wihtout losing anthing?  I'm using Dolphin emulator,

You can compress your GameCube and Wii games with Dolphin. In Dolphin right click a game > Convert file. I myself use the .rvz format because it is lossless and can be converted back to the original iso without losing anything. You can choose a compression method and a compression level, but the default settings are fine. And yes, you do have to point LaunchBox to your new files.

Edited by Koroth

ah!  I dind't know that!  Well, i tried to convert all my Wii games into wbfs and the total size was reduced from 80GB to 53GB. I also tried to convert a game from iso to RVZ: in RVZ the size is only 1.11GB and in wbfs is 1.8GB, so I can save additional space :)

I used this setting:

Cattura.png

Ah if needed i can convert back from rvz to iso? which is the tool to do that?

Do you know if Dolphin Ishiiruka too support rvx format file?

thanks!

Edited by legolas119

38 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

Ah if needed i can convert back from rvz to iso? which is the tool to do that?

Also Dolphin. xD

To add some information: In Dolphin you can select multiple games to batch convert as long as those games are in a disc format. (No WiiWare, Virtual Console)

38 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

Do you know if Dolphin Ishiiruka too support rvx format file?

Sorry, I have never used Dolphin Ishiiruka.

Edited by Koroth

perfect, i'm converting my GC and Wii iso, then i will try some of them in order to verify that everyting is ok and finally i will change the links in LB :)

Some games are really reduced: Super Magio Ragalaxy 2 for example decreased from 4.36GB iso to 1,25GB RVZ!!!  Super Mario Galaxy "only" reduced from 4.36GB to 3.36GB

Dolphin Ishiiruka doesn’t support the RVZ format as of now. RVZ is rather new-ish and Ishiiruka hasn’t been updated since almost a year now. If there isn’t a very particular reason why you have to use Ishiiruka I would just go with RVZ and the standard Dolphin build.

Here’s additional info about the various GameCube/Wii compression methods and why RVZ is the best one to choose for emulation:

https://de.dolphin-emu.org/blog/2020/07/05/dolphin-progress-report-may-and-june-2020/

Ishiiruka has better support for older hardware and Direct3D 9. It also had some unique features (like async shader-cache) but over time a lot of those features were added to the normal Dolphin version as well. As it isn’t frequently updated anymore it now lacks behind in regards of new features (like RVZ support) and general emulation improvements that were made since then.

Nowadays the only reason to use it is on old PCs with a weak CPU and a graphics card that doesn’t have good Direct3D 11 or Vulkan support. If the normal Dolphin version runs fine for you there's most likely no reason to use it.

Another tip I have discovered about the Dolphin emulator is installing the emulator on a ssd drive if you have one and use any of the HD texture packs for the games. I used to have the emulator on a standard hard drive and when I moved it over to a ssd drive it loaded instantly with those games where as before it used to take about 10 seconds or so with some of those games with texture packs. Its one of the few emulators that I have seen a nice speed increase by it being on a SSD.

it seems that everything works correctly :) 

I have an issue with guitly gear xx acccent core plus, but it doesn't depend from the game format, it seems that the issue appears after updating Dolphin (for sure this game worked some months ago). I'm not able to play it anymore. It seems that after updating dolphin to the latest version, when i start the game, after loading the shaders, it appears a totally blank pop up, without any message, it is possible to read only "Warning".
Dolphin is freezed and i have to restart my pc in order to exit!

I have this issue only with this game...it worked some months ago, in the same pc. Only now i have this issue :(

do you know how can I try to solve this problem?