LaunchBox Community Forums

Show Button Mapping for Emulators in Startup Theme´s -BB

JacK1518

Hello everyone,

i´m open for a new project and now, i want to make it easy for others (multiplayer games) to understand how the buttons work in the picked emulator.

I have found a startup theme here, that looks really cool. I know there are pause themes that can show the mapping, too.

Does anyone have a idea how to make it simple and easy for other people on multiplayer games?

I have made an example below for a startup theme. Is there a simple way to get this Controller Images in the theme for every emulator?

Maybe the gamelogo and "loading..." higher and delete the floppy disk?

test.thumb.png.0f578b463b1611ab286f62e99181876b.png

Thank you in Advance!

Edited by JacK1518

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

There is not a simple way, as in settings you can just adjust. You have to know how to do some basic coding to get this theme you are showing to display what you want and where you want.

ok. But is it possible to add in my background picture from the start up theme, the controllers and change it with the original background? If so, how can i find them?

This is a great pause theme, and there are the controll Images i could add.

22 minutes ago, JacK1518 said:

ok. But is it possible to add in my background picture from the start up theme, the controllers and change it with the original background? If so, how can i find them?

Yes, Its possible to do this. Just depends in the theme and if you have to edit the code. What do you mean how can you find them? 

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yes, Its possible to do this. Just depends in the theme and if you have to edit the code. What do you mean how can you find them? 

sry my english is not the best. I need the path in the explorer to find where the images are in, i want to change. What i also considered is to test the super pause menue(from the third party apps). It looks a bit easier and faster to implement, but i hope i dont break anything by doing this.

1 hour ago, JacK1518 said:

sry my english is not the best. I need the path in the explorer to find where the images are in, i want to change. What i also considered is to test the super pause menue(from the third party apps). It looks a bit easier and faster to implement, but i hope i dont break anything by doing this.

All images are located inside the \Launchbox\Images\[Platform Name]\ folders. Just head there and look around you will quickly see how everything is organized. 

I have never really messed with that pause menu plugin so could not offer any tips. 

17 hours ago, Retro808 said:

All images are located inside the \Launchbox\Images\[Platform Name]\ folders. Just head there and look around you will quickly see how everything is organized. 

I have never really messed with that pause menu plugin so could not offer any tips. 

ok Thank you! I tried to play around with the xaml Files, but.. no way! ? i can´t even do simple things like "copy gif from theme A to theme B"  and i dont know anything about the coding, except there are heights widghts and paths?

Unfortunately, i have to stick to the standard themes. I don´t want to use this plugins because i dont know whether it works properly in the long run.

5 hours ago, JacK1518 said:

ok Thank you! I tried to play around with the xaml Files, but.. no way! ? i can´t even do simple things like "copy gif from theme A to theme B"  and i dont know anything about the coding, except there are heights widghts and paths?

Unfortunately, i have to stick to the standard themes. I don´t want to use this plugins because i dont know whether it works properly in the long run.

I’ll look into making a version of the theme that uses game fan art. I can’t make any guarantees, I also just play around with the default xaml files, but I’ll see what I can do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JacK1518 said:

I have a Startup that does somewhat what you are looking for. I actually never posted it (actually forgot it was in my test folders) as it was just something I was tinkering with when I made the Pause Menu versions. I can tweak it a bit if you want and then send it to you. Let me know what changes you might be after.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 5.04.27 PM.png

3 hours ago, OhBoy said:

I’ll look into making a version of the theme that uses game fan art. I can’t make any guarantees, I also just play around with the default xaml files, but I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks! Your theme is why i originally came into that! That should be a great win! 

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I have a Startup that does somewhat what you are looking for. I actually never posted it (actually forgot it was in my test folders) as it was just something I was tinkering with when I made the Pause Menu versions. I can tweak it a bit if you want and then send it to you. Let me know what changes you might be after.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 5.04.27 PM.png

Thats amazing! It should be a bit more transparent (the black colour around the controller) and it should shows how the original platform controller buttons fit with the new ones (in this case xbox one and ds4). The buttons should be changeable and highligted with a photoprogram. 

The absolute "candy" should be, with this loading bar "gif-file" (but its not a priority to me):

If that all works together, that were amazing! 

Edited by JacK1518
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JacK1518 said:

Thats amazing! It should be a bit more transparent (the black colour around the controller) and it should shows how the original platform controller buttons fit with the new ones (in this case xbox one and ds4). The buttons should be changeable and highligted with a photoprogram. 

The absolute "candy" should be, with this loading bar "gif-file" (but its not a priority to me):

The controller image in that pic is a custom image I make for all my games and platforms. So it is not a transparent background image of just the controller (see attached pics). That is an actual black background the image is on to make it easy to see the controller labels. Unfortunately controller images have to be made and making something changeable and highlight-able would require a plugin for that type of creativity. @OhBoy  uses custom made images the exact same way. His just happen to have the console in the background.

I can produce the theme in the layout as you would like. However, creating all the controller images as you would want them for your set-up would be up to you to do. You would only then need to drop them in the required folder and the theme will use the images.

The theme layout would allow you to have game specific controller images, if one is absent it would fallback to a platform specific controller image, and if that is missing it would then fall back to a default image of your choice.

2 hours ago, JacK1518 said:

...it should shows how the original platform controller buttons fit with the new ones (in this case xbox one and ds4).

That's why it also shows the actual original controller of each platform. So the user can see what the original layout looks like and what those controls are on the controller being used.

Nintendo GameCube.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retro808 said:

The controller image in that pic is a custom image I make for all my games and platforms. So it is not a transparent background image of just the controller (see attached pics). That is an actual black background the image is on to make it easy to see the controller labels. Unfortunately controller images have to be made and making something changeable and highlight-able would require a plugin for that type of creativity. @OhBoy  uses custom made images the exact same way. His just happen to have the console in the background.

I can produce the theme in the layout as you would like. However, creating all the controller images as you would want them for your set-up would be up to you to do. You would only then need to drop them in the required folder and the theme will use the images.

The theme layout would allow you to have game specific controller images, if one is absent it would fallback to a platform specific controller image, and if that is missing it would then fall back to a default image of your choice.

That's why it also shows the actual original controller of each platform. So the user can see what the original layout looks like and what those controls are on the controller being used.

Nintendo GameCube.jpg

That would be great, i f you can do so. I can do that with the controller Images on my own.