LaunchBox Community Forums

New Bug?

Moleburt

Not sure if this has been reported, or where the proper place to report it is. I discovered that if you edit a individual game and choose to "override the default startup screen settings" even if you enable the startup screen and the shutdown screen, only the startup screen works, when you exit the game it doesn't bring up the shutdown screen.

At first I thought it was just happening with the lightgun games I have setup launching with AHK, but decided to test it with games that don't use ahk. Same issue was present for both. Not sure if this is something that has been reported or not, seems like the "enable shutdown screen" just isn't working though.

18 minutes ago, Moleburt said:

Sounds good, could be just my setup as well, if you don’t encounter the same issue I’d love to know. 

Just ran a quick test, and I do see shutdown screens working, but you would need to set the Startup Load Delay higher than 0 seconds. Are you able to see if that makes any difference for your setup?

1 hour ago, faeran said:

I do see shutdown screens working, but you would need to set the Startup Load Delay higher than 0 seconds

I like to add that for me shutdown screens always work when "Hide All Windows that are not in Exclusive Fullscreen Mode" is ticked. However when it isn't ticked the shutdown screens sometimes don't work for me either. I don't think it is a bug , but just how LaunchBox handles Startup/Shutdown screens. I like how RocketLauncher handles Startup and Shutdown screens: set up the window- / class name to wait for or exit.

2 hours ago, faeran said:

Just ran a quick test, and I do see shutdown screens working, but you would need to set the Startup Load Delay higher than 0 seconds. Are you able to see if that makes any difference for your setup?

I have some games set higher than 0 and some at 0, same issue either way for me, I did not test a non ahk game above 0 though, so tonight I will test that. Could very well be linked to the way the game closes with ahk still. 

After doing some testing I think that it isn't so much the ahk that is causing my issue with the shutdown screen, it is something to do with the way the ahk is loading the bezel and the emulator. I am only running into these issues with the handful of NES (using Mesen launched via ahk), SNES (using SNES9x launched via ahk) and PS1 (duckstation launched via ahk) games, these are all lightgun games I am setting up with the Sinden Bezel packs. It seems that the way the bezel packs load the bezels for these systems interferes with something in the Startup and Shutdown screen, for NES and PS1 I have to override the default Startup/Shutdown screen and set the Load Delay to about 1 second, if I go any higher than 1.5 seconds, the bezel will load but the game is behind everything and clicking just takes focus away from the game as a whole, setting it to 1 second the game loads properly with the Bezel, but the Shutdown Screen doesn't work. Also, ticking the "hide everything not in exclusive fullscreen" box, creates the same issue as setting the load delay to high, the bezel loads, but the game is behind everything. The exact same pattern is present with SNES games, the only difference being that the load delay has to be set between 0 and 0.25, anything higher and it was showing the bezel and hiding the game.

The issue is definitely linked to the ahk, I have tested the ahk with and without the portions the load the bezel and the issue persists either way. Not really sure where to start for a solution, in the end its not a huge deal, its just a handful of games without shutdown screens.

1 hour ago, Moleburt said:

After doing some testing I think that it isn't so much the ahk that is causing my issue with the shutdown screen, it is something to do with the way the ahk is loading the bezel and the emulator. I am only running into these issues with the handful of NES (using Mesen launched via ahk), SNES (using SNES9x launched via ahk) and PS1 (duckstation launched via ahk)

The way the LaunchBox startup/shutdown screens and pause menu work, I would avoid loading emulators/roms via scripts or batchfiles as much as possible. If you use scripts or additional apps check if there's nothing that steals focus. For example start apps minimized, or in the system tray.

1 hour ago, Moleburt said:

Also, ticking the "hide everything not in exclusive fullscreen" box, creates the same issue as setting the load delay to high, the bezel loads, but the game is behind everything.

Ticking that box only works if the emulator itself uses fullscreen exclusive mode.

*Edit*

The way the LaunchBox startup/shutdown screens and pause menu work, clashes with bezels. That's why bezels were never implemented into LaunchBox. 

Edited by Koroth

Ya I’m going to try and see if I can figure out a way to get it working properly with everything, might just try compiling the ahk and see if that makes a difference, seems like it’s a timing thing possibly, something loading to soon/to late that causes the issue one way or the other. Not a huge deal either way in the end