LaunchBox Community Forums

Random controller settings Windows 10

HomerJ

I'm finally starting to get my stuff together and put together a Big Box system.  I bought the premium LB and Emu Movies.  Just about everything is going great (well, some exceptions like Daphne and ScummVM...but that's for another day).

I have NES (messen) , SNES (snes9x) , Sega Master system, Genesis, 32x, CD (kega fusion) all working mostly great.  

However...... :(

I have the

• 8bitdo bluetooth NES/SNES controller (2)
  • the retrobit sega controller (2) 

I configure each of the emulators with the respective controllers.  Everything works great.....until....if a controller sleeps or window is rebooted the controller mappings are all messed up.   Even if I start an emulator with all 4 controllers on, then some sleep, and then I restart a different emulator, mapping are messed up.

Basically, every time I want to play a game, it seems I have to remap the controllers. 

Pretty sure this is a windows problem as it seems the controller names change in the settings each time I look.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!!

I have snes9x too. But i don't have problems. I have two ds4 + two xbox one controllers (bluetooth). 

Are the drivers working correctly? Built in Bluetooth or adapter on pc? How the controllers work... d-input or x-input? The mappings were correctly saved? Have you set up mapping-profiles on a emulator?

5 hours ago, HomerJ said:

Ok,  seems like there isn't much advice here :(

maybe I'll ask a different question...does the raspberry pi handle multiple controllers better that windows?

Not really.. i've spent many day's to figure out how this works on r-pie ? 

You can also test retroarch on pc and see if the mappings are saved.

3 hours ago, HomerJ said:

Well, using reproach on PC I feel would have same issues because it's windows that is messing up the controller order.  Not sure how pi deals with multiple controller inputs.

Does it change the orders of ALL controllers or only of the doubles (like the two retrobit's)?

4 minutes ago, Rlad said:

Yes it's a Win10 problem, no i don't think there's a solution. However if you use Retroarch i think it uses the VID/PID of the controller so there isn't an issue. You can also set this in Mame https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/devicemap.html , i don't know about other emulators.

Do you know if this will be fixed in win11? 

Also, should be nice to know if there is a workaround for other emulators?

Edited by JacK1518

57 minutes ago, HomerJ said:

Kega fusion is the one I'm fighting now

I had this issue for ages with Kega Fusion and ended up giving up with it and going to RetroArch.

However I found that Devreorder works really well on lots of other emulators and has been a huge help with my set up, making sure that I can hide controller and such so not spending ages resetting things

Having seen your issue I thought I would have another go, and by luck/skill/judgement/error or a combination of it all came up with a way that lets devreorder work.

I cannot be sure that it will 100% help your issue but worth a try surely?

Make a devreorder.ini as per the instructions with devreorder.

Place that devrorder.ini and the input8.dll file from the x86 folder in devreorder into the same folder as the fusion.exe.

You have most likely tried this and found it doesn't work - which is where I got stuck and gave up before, but today I discovered this little beauty

So download the latest release from

https://github.com/elishacloud/dinputto8/releases

and put the dinput.dll file into the same folder as the fusion.exe.

Then Fusion should follow devreorder and recognise the controllers in the order you want them.

Keyboard stays as number 1, mouse as number 2 and then your controller list starts from 3 onwards.

If you start Fusion up without a controller in place all the controllers move up one in the list within Fusion. Not sure if this will help or is what you are after but might help point you in the right direction.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, Kiinkyfoxx said:

If you start Fusion up without a controller in place all the controllers move up one in the list within Fusion. Not sure if this will help or is what you are after but might help point you in the right direction.

I think this is the main issue.  And devreorder does not seem to help that...even if I use the UID of the controllers and place the BT (the one that may or may not be in the list) last or hidden.

snes9x works great.

mesen and fusion and gens do not :(

Very frusterating indeed.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  I may have to try retroarch again...but for being so 'easy' it sure seems like a major pain over standalone emulators.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, Kiinkyfoxx said:

You have most likely tried this and found it doesn't work - which is where I got stuck and gave up before, but today I discovered this little beauty

So download the latest release from

https://github.com/elishacloud/dinputto8/releases

and put the dinput.dll file into the same folder as the fusion.exe.

THAT WORKED!!!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH! 

It even seems to work with the BT controller removing itself from the list when it disconnect!!

What I do is connect all my controllers and have them all powered up.

Then I use the device lister that comes with devreorder: https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder

Then I put ALL the devices in the hidden section of devreorder.ini EXCEPT for the ones I need for the particular emulator.  That way that emulator will only see that list and the list is always the same order.  :) :) :)

This didn't work alone.  I needed that extra step that you pointed out and that was to put the dinput.dll into the emulator folder too.  https://github.com/elishacloud/dinputto8/releases

Thank you SO MUCH.