LaunchBox Community Forums

can't figure out how to install a game from an iso

dinarose3

so i downloaded a game from oldgamesdownload.com and it unzips to an .iso file. i'm confused as to what the next step is, everything i've tried ends up giving me an error message. 

basically i'd like to have all the barbie games in my library for the kids i  babysit and be able to save my progress in them! and i've just been staring at the screen for so long i'm lost as to what to do :)

1 hour ago, dinarose3 said:

so i downloaded a game from oldgamesdownload.com and it unzips to an .iso file. i'm confused as to what the next step is, everything i've tried ends up giving me an error message. 

basically i'd like to have all the barbie games in my library for the kids i  babysit and be able to save my progress in them! and i've just been staring at the screen for so long i'm lost as to what to do :)

It depends on if the game was originally for Windows or MS-DOS. What are the system requirements for the game? What year was it released?

1 minute ago, dinarose3 said:

https://oldgamesdownload.com/barbie-super-sports/ this is the game! originally for windows

I see. This game unfortunately might be extremely difficult to get running on Windows. It's worth a shot, but unfortunately not all old Windows games can be run on modern versions of Windows. You can try though by just mounting the disc in Windows (just double-click on it) and then running the setup from the virtual CD drive.

56 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

You would most likely have to mount the disk image with a virtual cd drive program such as virtual clone drive or the built in one windows 10 has and then install from there.

im able to successfully mount the disc and start the program, i'm now just stumped as to how i get it into launchbox!

2021-07-31.png

Just now, Jason Carr said:

I see. This game unfortunately might be extremely difficult to get running on Windows. It's worth a shot, but unfortunately not all old Windows games can be run on modern versions of Windows. You can try though by just mounting the disc in Windows (just double-click on it) and then running the setup from the virtual CD drive.

i can get it to run successfully! but there seems to be no way to save and exit it, it starts from the beginning every time. i was hoping that launchbox would allow me to have easy access to it without having to do this process each time but i guess that may be too good to be true!

so i just ended up in a whole new installation process and now it's saving the game - i'm not quite sure what i did differently but it seems to be working exactly as it should now! the only minor issue now is that i still haven't added it to launchbox