LaunchBox Community Forums

Smoothest possible experience for multi-disc GameCube games when using LB/BB with standalone Dolphin emu?

MetaRidley42

Hi all:

If I am importing .ISO files for my GameCube collection in LB/BB, with said files remaining in place in a single folder on an external drive, what steps do I need to take to ensure that there is a smooth disc-swapping experience when the prompt comes up in the game?

I mostly play with a controller on a TV via BigBox, without easy access to mouse and keyboard, so automatic swapping or something with a simply controller combo would be best.

I have not reached the point in any of my games yet to test swapping, so I am not sure how things will go. I should point out that my .ISO are all uniformly named, with the same filename appended with (Disc 1) and (Disc 2), etc.  When I added the titles to LaunchBox via import ROMs feature, it successfully combined them into a single listing.

I see that Dolphin has an option for "Automatically swap discs," is it as simple as enabling that?

Thanks all! Love this software!

Hi @MetaRidley42

I've never tried it, so someone may correct me, but I believe it should be as simple as:

1. In LaunchBox make sure all discs are combined into one game.
  2. In LaunchBox make sure you enable "Use M3U Playlists for Multiple Discs" - this can be found in Manage Emulators > Dolphin > Associated Platforms
  3. In Dolphin, enable "Change Discs Automatically"
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, faeran said:

Hi @MetaRidley42

I've never tried it, so someone may correct me, but I believe it should be as

1. In LaunchBox make sure all discs are combined into one game.
  2. In LaunchBox make sure you enable "Use M3U Playlists for Multiple Discs" - this can be found in Manage Emulators > Dolphin > Associated Platforms
  3. In Dolphin, enable "Change Discs Automatically"

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve heard a little bit about the launchbox .m3u feature, and just to confirm, that’s a temporary playlist file that the software generates on the fly for multiple discs, meaning if I use that option I don’t need to go and create my own playlist file in the same folder as the game files while using that feature, Launchbox should handle it on the fly, correct?

I have used a folder > .m3u playlist structure for my PS1 games, some of which have as many as five discs, but never did it for the gamecube games because I wasn’t sure if the dolphin emulator needed or supported that method like Retroarch.

1 minute ago, MetaRidley42 said:

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve heard a little bit about the launchbox .m3u feature, and just to confirm, that’s a temporary playlist file that the software generates on the fly for multiple discs, meaning if I use that option I don’t need to go and create my own playlist file in the same folder as the game files while using that feature, Launchbox should handle it on the fly, correct?

This is correct.