LaunchBox Community Forums

DLC, Expansions and more

raviol

Hi everyone, 

Probably this feature was already requested, I didn't find it in the forum, at least in this form.

How do you guys manage your DLCs and Expansion? Do you have them as a separate game, or do you include any information in the game details?

I would like to have some kind of section inside each game to add DLCs, Expansions and complements, it will be ok if it is only a list, but it will be great to know which extra content do you have.

It could be just something like the "Alternative Names" tab (a table to add entries). Of course it will be great if you could have more information, it could be even a separate item but linked, so you can hide the extra content from the database, but you will have it linked from the main game.

And would be awesome if you could show that info in the details panel, so you can see a list of extra content displayed.

If you are a premium user you may be able to use a custom field for that. You would have to manually enter it for each game. I personally don't import any DLC/Expac information since you can't launch them, they attach to and expand the base game which I DO have imported.

20 hours ago, C-Beats said:

If you are a premium user you may be able to use a custom field for that. You would have to manually enter it for each game. I personally don't import any DLC/Expac information since you can't launch them, they attach to and expand the base game which I DO have imported.

I agree. DLCs or expansions are not separate games. The only exception to this is if an expansion is (also) released as a separate standalone game, e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its Torna expansion. Torna is available as a dlc, but also as a standalone game.

3 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

I agree. DLCs or expansions are not separate games. The only exception to this is if an expansion is (also) released as a separate standalone game, e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its Torna expansion. Torna is available as a dlc, but also as a standalone game.

I understand. I'm a premium user, so I probably end up by adding a custom field as suggested. But in my case, I use Launchbox as a catalog of all my games (mostly PC and PlayStation), so I don't care about launching games, I don't even use Big Box at all, and I would really appreciate having the expansions cataloged with the rest of the games (but as I mentioned, would like to have kind of a linking feature).

I'm cataloging my console's physical and digital purchases on LaunchBox as well and I like to keep track of the DLCs I own. A proper feature would be nice indeed but here's my way:

When I first started adding games to Launchbox, I simply listed all the DLCs in the Notes field, just after the game's Owerview. This is a very quick solution and the Notes can hold a lot of text; however it could still turn a little messy when there is a very long list of DLCs for a single game. I had also to be careful when changing or updating the game's name or ID metadatas since this could revert the customized Notes field into the original from the LB database and thus deleting the DLCs listed there.

Lately I'm using a different approach: for each game I create a text file with the DLCs list and then I add it as an additional app (I'm storing these files into a DLC subfolder inside the LaunchBox root). With much more freedom to customize the list I'm now grouping together the DLCs from a specific Pack or Season Pass, adding color text, specifying if the DLC is already included on the game disc, if it's a free or paid content and if it's compatible with other versions of the game.

I also created a "DLCs" custom field in Launchbox with a "Yes" or "No" that will appears in the details panel. This way I can check if I have any DLCs for a selected game and I can also search how many of my games have DLCs in the left Side panel.

Edited by Rey
  • Game On 1