LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem suddenly launching MAME games

Tekkenlord

17 minutes ago, Tekkenlord said:

All of a sudden when i try to lunch a mame rom it gives me this error 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object... wth?!?!?

In LB go to >Tools >Manage Emualtors and edit your Mame.

Change the Mame exe path to the exe of a completely different emulator and then close the Manage Emulators window. Once done, edit Mame again and change it back to the actual Mame exe file and close out the Manage Emulators. Should get you back and running.

We have brought this up to the devs in our beta thread.

Thank you for reply, i was about to post because indeed i did something similar and worked, deleted Mame completely, reincorporated it and that worked too, but just for the moment you have launchbox open, as soon as you close it and reopen the same problem is shown again, so either you workaround or mine is a fix you need to do eveytime you open launchbox, i hope they correct it as soon as possible.

edit1: JesusChrist this happens with other emulators as well... nestopia, visualboy advance too... is there a way to reverse to an old version? the last beta is completely broken and unusable.

Edited by Tekkenlord

If you want to revert you can run the last stable update located in your \Updates folder.  While I can understand bugs can be aggravating  if the beta’s bug are too big an issue for you I suggest not running betas. They are betas for a reason and we look for users to help provide feedback of found bugs. 

12 hours ago, Tekkenlord said:

edit1: JesusChrist this happens with other emulators as well... nestopia, visualboy advance too... is there a way to reverse to an old version? the last beta is completely broken and unusable.

That is gonna happen with betas, new features are being tested, and sometimes they will break things. Beta's are for savvy users to test and report issues, not for everybody to use on their daily machines. Also in the beta announcement thread it was clearly said to backup your data folder as a new way of loading .xml files is being tested.

"We recommend backing up your data folder before updating to this beta." was the exact quote.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, i was not able to answer due to a high amount of work, and finally i had the time, i manage to make a regresion at first and then update to a new beta that had the issue corrected, of course i know that betas can have rough edges but the reason i update to a beta version was because on the regular version there was a mistake as well, where importing from a folder was not importing anything, and some moderator suggested to update to the latest beta which i did this giving me that result, i am not going to lie to you i love launchbox and it makes my life easier but i feel like the latest versions even though the official releases are a bit i dunno know, lazy? 

31 minutes ago, Tekkenlord said:

i love launchbox and it makes my life easier but i feel like the latest versions even though the official releases are a bit i dunno know, lazy? 

If that’s your assessment fair enough, but I will mention the dev team is only 2 people. So it is not a big team developing and testing. They can only do so much testing which is why betas are helpful. It gives the devs real world use feedback.
So to call releases lazy under values the effort 2 devs put into their time. Plus many users simply use betas to get the latest features without providing any real feedback.