LaunchBox Community Forums

NVIDIA Shield Resolution Issue

Rik3Rr

I'm running Launchbox/BigBox from my gaming PC located in the office, which has an ultrawide monitor + a secondary display. The gaming PC connects to my home theater setup down the hall via an NVIDIA Shield. 

When on the Shield I launch either Launchbox or BigBox directly via Gamestream, they appear successfully, but formatted with the ultrawide monitor's resolution on my 16:9 TV. The same thing occurs if I try to launch other programs like mstsc.exe using Gamestream. However, if I launch an approved Gamestream game (of which there is a limited list!), the resolution will auto-correct as it should. Steam Big Picture also will auto-format all games, and I am aware of the trick of adding LB/BB.exes to to Steam BP and launching either program from there. This solution isn't ideal for two reasons: a.) it takes a lot of steps to get into LB/BB when using Steam; 2.) on occasion after leaving a game, the controller thinks its controlling Steam BP instead of BB even though BB is still open (very frustrating!).

So as to remove Steam BP from this process, I'd really like to be able to start the Shield and launch LB or BB right away + have it auto-correct for the resolution change from the ultrawide monitor to the 16:9 TV. I have been all over the net looking for an answer, and no luck. I have tried many, many solutions; again, no luck. 

Has anyone else run into this issue and managed to solve it? I'm concerned at this point that there is no solution other than NVIDIA fixing this. It's getting to the point that I'm pondering just building a cheap $500 emulation PC and skipping the Shield entirely, but if I can solve this, then I won't do that. Thank you all for your assistance!

Hmm, I feel your pain on this. Unfortunately I don't have any real ideas or recommendations. Just chiming in to say I gave this a read and wracked my brain for a bit. It is possible that we could program our own resolution changer, but that's about the only idea I could come up with, and I don't know if it would interfere with the Shield.

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply. I know it's a long and complicated post, so a double thank you for taking the time to read it!

The more I think about all of this, the more I'm leaning toward building a PC with some spare parts I have lying around and installing Batecera on it. But, then I can't use Launchbox, which I love. I just want to be able to hit the power button, pick up the controller, and start. This sounds minor, but it really can make a difference of whether one decides to sit down and play or not. I could just install windows on the Machine and simply click on BigBox. So, I'll have to think about this some more. 

Have a great day, and take care.

• 1 month later...