LaunchBox Community Forums

Auto key mapping for controllers?

WillyWonkaAndTheCovidFacto

I’m looking to build a noob gaming pc in the near future and want to incorporate emulation on there with LaunchBox. I currently have an 8bitdo controller (sn30 pro) I use for the switch, but was wondering when I eventually get the emulation going, will I have to map out the keys for every game that I play? I’m specifically going to focus on nes/snes games for now. I know there aren’t many buttons to configure for those two systems but it would be convenient not to have to do that every time. 

4 minutes ago, WillyWonkaAndTheCovidFacto said:

I’m looking to build a noob gaming pc in the near future and want to incorporate emulation on there with LaunchBox. I currently have an 8bitdo controller (sn30 pro) I use for the switch, but was wondering when I eventually get the emulation going, will I have to map out the keys for every game that I play? I’m specifically going to focus on nes/snes games for now. I know there aren’t many buttons to configure for those two systems but it would be convenient not to have to do that every time. 

I'd suggest using Retroarch, it emulates pretty much every system up to PS1 perfectly, and you set your controls up in there once, and it works across all the systems you then emulate through Retroarch.

You do not have to map for every game, but you will have to map for each emulator you choose to add to LB to run games. LB does have mapping settings, but it is for use within the LB/BB UI and not for use when playing games. You will need to map game control in each emulator. Retroarch for example has a universal mapping for all cores as well as the ability to map specific controls for certain systems if you prefer.