LaunchBox Community Forums

X-Men Arcade (EBA Version) works with Mame standalone, but not with Retroarch

SiriusVI

Hey everyone,

I usually play games with Mame in Retroarch, but I've run into a strange problem. When Launching X-Men, the rom starts, but the black screen says "13B Bad" and the game won't actually start.

When using the standalone emulator, I don't get the 13B Bad error and the game loads just fine.

Also when using Retroarch with a different Version than EBA (e.g. ADA), the game loads fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I recently updated to mame 0.235. Core, Roms and CHDs have the same version, so it's not that. I also have the Retroarch System Folder set up perfectly.

11 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Moved thread to appropriate forum section, this is not a LB issue.

Thank you, sorry for that!

I was able to fix the issue in the meantime. What I did was delete the folder "... \RetroArch\saves\MAME". It contained an eeprom file for xmen which was there from when I played the rom with an older version of mame (core and roms). Glad I was able to figure that out, haha.

19 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

There are reasons we never recommend the Mame core in RA over the stand alone version of Mame. While it does work and can work well it just has too many small nagging issues to ever recommend it.

I know it's not recommended, but it actually works really well in my opinion. I don't want a lot of software to maintain, so I love Retroarch's all in one approach. Once it is set up, it works really well, I think.

This very specific problem sucks of course. It was by pure chance that I figured it out. It's an easy fix however: Everytime you update mame, just delete the folder mentioned above.

• 1 year later...

Just to add to this, if your getting the "13b bad" with xmen 4 player on retropie on raspberry pi3, I needed to delete the xmen.nv file from roms/arcade/fbneo  - I had been using FBA but updated to FBneo the romset I had didnt work but this thread got me looking for spurious files and led me to this, as soon as I deleted that file it worked perfectly, so thanks OP!